Please read their announcement very carefully...
Today were pleased to announce our free carrier unlock for iPhone3G/3GS owners with a baseband later than 05.13.04. The unlock for that baseband exploited the AT+XAPP command, thanks to a crash initially discovered by @sherif_hashim (@Oranav also found this crash). So what hole are we exploiting today, since Apple closed that AT+XAPP hole? Well, were exploiting the exact same hole!
It turns out that the very first iPad firmware 3.2.2 has baseband version 06.15.00 still vulnerable to AT+XAPP. The iPad baseband is built for the exact same baseband chip as the iPhone3G/3GS theyre fully compatible! Some of us have been running 06.15 for weeks now on our iPhones in preparation for this release.
Since 06.15 is a higher version than 05.14 or 05.15 (where AT+XAPP is gone), anyone stuck at those versions can simply upgrade to 06.15 to unlock again! Luckily for us, Apple *still* provides the iPad FW 3.2.2 with this vulnerable baseband right from their own servers. (Grab it now, before they take it down!)
Weve been busy updating both PwnageTool and redsn0w to make the baseband update as seamless as possible.
1. First up is PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition. It has a special dialog box which will ask you if you want to update to the iPad baseband. You must already have the iPad 3.2.2 IPSW on your computer (see the above link) .so just point PwnageTool at it (or let it find it on its own if youre in simple mode).
2. Directly after PwnageTool 4.1.3 is available, the official ultrasn0w repo http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com will be updated with ultrasn0w 1.2, which covers iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 and iPhone 3G/3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and now 06.15.00.
3. Finally, well release an update to redsn0w today for those without Macs and cant run PwnageTool. The new redsn0w will give you the option to update your baseband to 06.15 too.
WARNING YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and theres no hiding the baseband version from Apple. Youll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you wont be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldnt update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you wont ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). Youll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if youre unlocker you should already be doing that).
Certainly dont update to 06.15 if you dont need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and youre stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and youre willing to assume the above risks.
This PwnageTool also contains a 4.2.1 bundle for iPhone3G owners for all else, its still only 4.1. If you have an iPhone3GS with an old bootrom, the new redsn0w will handle 4.2.1 for you (in fact it covers 4.2.1 for all devices, even though some of them are still tethered at 4.2.1 until @comex can work some untethering magic). iPhone3GS users with old bootroms who want to go to 4.2.1 should not use this PwnageTool! Update to stock 4.2.1 first, then use the upcoming redsn0w to update your baseband.
We will be posting tutorials to help you with these new tools as soon as possible.
You can download PwnageTool 4.1.3 from here.