Arment noticed that within minutes of the release of Instapaper 4.2.3 that he was flooded with reports of an immediate crash at launch. After looking into the issue he determined that users were receiving a corrupt binary.
Characterizations of this issue:
● The app crashes immediately on launch, every time, even after a delete and reinstall as long as the corrupt file is being served by the App Store.
● It doesn't even show the Default.png before crashing. Just a split-second of a partial fade to black, then back to Springboard.
● It may only affect customers in some regions.
● If updating from iTunes, some customers might get a dialog citing error 8324 or 8326.
● Mac apps might show this dialog: "[App] is damaged and can't be opened. Delete [App] and download it again from the App Store."
● The console might show: AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110
A list of already affected apps can be found at the link below. Arment suggests developers wait on releasing app updates until the issue is resolved.
Notably, a valid binary began going out several hours after the update went live which may hint at a caching issue.