Until late last year, Facebook disclosed monthly active users (MAUs, hereafter 'users' for simplicity) for its smartphone apps, on a rolling daily basis. I was always slightly nervous of publishing it, since you had to know how to get it and I suspected it might disappear if anyone pointed it out. Now, like fairy gold, the data has disappeared, so I can share it.
● In September 2012, Facebook reported 470m users of its smartphone apps for iPhone, Android, RIM, Nokia, Windows Phone and J2ME ('Featurephone)
● It had a further (presumably overlapping) 45m users of its iPad app, out of around 100m active devices
● Out of 1.07bn total users, Facebook reported 604m 'mobile users', implying that 134m were not using these apps and hence were using the mobile web
● Obviously, these numbers are not exclusive: many, if not all, of the people using mobile apps are also using the desktop site
● 140m people were using the iPhone app and 176m using the Android app
● Facebook Messenger has around 53 million users
● Facebook Camera only has about 1 million users
Much more information is revealed in the full post linked below...
Read More [via TechCrunch]