Jailbreakers Should Update to iOS 6.1 Using iTunes, Not Using Software Update

Show Article
Comments (120)
Theo - April 22, 2013 at 12:20pm
If I do this upgrade through iTunes, will my baseband change?
edg724 - February 4, 2013 at 5:04pm
I GOT IT !!!! WOOT !!!
MightyZy - January 30, 2013 at 5:17pm
What program is being used to jailbreak? Is it just the most up to date version of RedSn0w? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just emerging from Master's thesis writing world.
joekilledme - January 30, 2013 at 5:20pm
follow @Evad3rs....they will let you know when the time comes where to download it from. if you dont have twitter then im sure this website will inform you the non-scammy site to visit to get a legit jailbreak
thatcher - January 31, 2013 at 11:13am
The Jailbreak is called 'Evasi0n' and will be available through the Evad3rs website
Geo - January 30, 2013 at 2:06pm
If I already did the update on my phone , is there any way to go back so i can do the update from my computer on iTunes..... or is it to late
joekilledme - January 30, 2013 at 4:54pm
just download the 6.1 firmware to itunes and you should be fine. the reason they want you to do via itunes is because it downloads it for you so the jailbreak can work clean. if you update via WiFi then the 6.1 firmware wont be on your computer which is necessary to jailbreak. hope this helps.
Geo - January 30, 2013 at 4:57pm
Thank you for your explanation, I will try it.
joekilledme - January 30, 2013 at 5:00pm
if you cant download thru itunes then there should be websites where you can download to your desktop. i even think there is a thread on this website where you can download it from. good luck!
Derek - January 30, 2013 at 7:12pm
I do have the latest firmware 6.1 downloaded from here - iClarified. But my iTunes still says that the most up to date version available is 6.02 and when I try to do the Shift-Restore with the 6.1 firmware, it says it is not compatible with my iPhone 5. I could do an OTA upgrade but this is not advised. So I'm stuck.
joekilledme - January 31, 2013 at 3:28pm
if i were you, i would back up my phone thru itunes to your computer (since im not on icloud). then go on your phone to setting>general>>reset>erase all contents and settings. this will bring your phone back to factory settings. from there plug into itunes and see if the latest update is available. i know it sounds time consuming and this may not even work but its an alternative idea if you are between a rock and a hard place. good luck!
abdullah kamran - February 2, 2013 at 2:56am
no .. that is not the case .. OTA upgrade done through wifi actually changes the SHSH blobs therefore it is advvised to do the restore via itunes .. Doing so will keep the normal blobs saved in cydia server and for that jailbreakers won't have to do extensive testing
Derek - January 30, 2013 at 11:03am
Any idea why iOS 6.1 is not showing as the latest version in my iTunes (10.7)? 6.02 is still listed as the most up to date. I am on 6.01 on an iPhone 5 but when I try to do a Shift-Restore with iOS 6.1, it says that version is incompatible with my iPhone 5? What gives?
thatcher - January 30, 2013 at 11:11am
Have you checked your hosts file to see if gs.apple.com is present and if so deleted it? You can download the firmware files from iClarified here: http://iclarified.com/750/where-to-download-iphone-firmware-files-from Once downloaded hit shift and press restore if you can't update automatically.
Dudleydogg - January 30, 2013 at 12:32pm
Mine was doing the exact same thing only available was 6.0.2 Then I went to iTunes menu and told it to search for Software Updates and it started to do that it also prompted me to update my iphone to 6.1 kick it and it will respond.
erick - January 30, 2013 at 4:02pm
I had the same problem with my 4s and a ipod . sorry i cant give any other info . but i did an OTA, then this problem went away. I do think you can do a itune restore after an OTA . but wait for more info. this problem lasted for me for almost a year, on my ipod
Rob - January 31, 2013 at 5:56am
Derek, you must download the correct firmware files. In my case I had to restore using http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/041-6487.20130128.Ihb56/iPhone5,2_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw Which is 6.1.0 GSM CDMA (For mac users....Hold down the option key then press restore in iTunes and select the ipsw you just downloaded. For pc users hold down shift and select restore)
Bchccc - January 31, 2013 at 8:34am
You must upgrade your itunes... the current version is 11.01
John - January 30, 2013 at 6:04am
Do I have to hit restore or can I just update regular via itunes?
thatcher - January 30, 2013 at 8:45am
You can just hit update in iTunes.
Aleksandr - January 30, 2013 at 9:49am
You have to destroy your iPhone/iPod and then get it restored and only after that you can jailbreak it!
thatcher - January 30, 2013 at 11:12am
WTF? either you're trolling or don't know how to update. You just hit update in iTunes when your device is connected.
Timmy O-Toole - January 29, 2013 at 11:46pm
Does iOS 6.1 offer any actual new features ?
Aleksandr - January 30, 2013 at 2:57am
Yes it's like a whole new user interface!
thatcher - January 30, 2013 at 8:45am
No it's mainly bug and security fixes.
Timmy O-Toole - January 30, 2013 at 10:04pm
Your Mum needs a whole new interface
Dave - January 29, 2013 at 9:06pm
I did an OTA update but apparently all I have to do to fix that is restore correct? If I press restore on iTunes, once my phone is erased, can I restore my data from iCloud? Or does it have to be a restore from my computer?
unixes - January 29, 2013 at 9:32pm
I think, if you have all your data stored on iCloud you can restore it from there. If you have only contacts or only one part of your iphone storage on iCloud, it's better to make a backup on your computer and then restore it from there.
Dave - January 29, 2013 at 9:38pm
Thank you, I do have all my data backed up on iCloud.
iMike - January 29, 2013 at 7:32pm
"make a full restore using iTunes" - not update. We have to download 6.1 manually and than shift + restore.
oryoucan - January 29, 2013 at 11:11pm
Or you can just press restore. It does the same thing but has itunes download the restore file and then I think itunes deletes it. Which is a pain. DFU + Restore is generally the best course of action.
Carlos - January 29, 2013 at 4:28pm
What if I updated via itunes with no restore. Can I do a restore and everything will be ok for the jailbreak?
thatcher - January 29, 2013 at 4:39pm
If you updated to 6.1 with iTunes then you're fine. If you updated OTA then do a restore with iTunes.
Tk. - January 29, 2013 at 6:53pm
So the Update via iTunes is Fine? No restore needed? I also did the normal Update via iTunes 900 MB Package but Not a complete restore as this takes way to much time.
thatcher - January 30, 2013 at 8:51am
If you did a full update through iTunes you're fine. You don't need to restore.
Bloomberg: Apple Unveiling Gold iPad in October
Bloomberg has corroborated reports of a gold ...
Apple Re-Uploads Apple Watch Introduction Video, Makes Screen Size Smaller
Apple has re-uploaded its Apple Watch introdu...
Microsoft Posts Video Introducing Windows 10
Microsoft has posted a video introducing the ...
Mass Production of Apple Watch to Begin in January 2015?
Quanta Computer, a Taiwan based manufacturer,...
Consumer Love for Apple Helps It Weather Bendgate-Style Controversies
Ken Segall, the agency creative director that...