Sharon E. Jacob, MD and Shehla Admani, MD examined the case of an 11-year-old with an itchy rash who was likely allergic to his own iPad.
The boy, treated at a San Diego hospital, had a history of skin issues, but a different rash developed all over his body and wouldn’t respond to typical treatment. His skin tested positive for nickel, one of the most common allergy-inducing metals, and doctors traced it back to an iPad he had used with increasing frequency the past six months. The iPad tested positive for nickel as well, according to the report.
The boy was advised to use a Smart Case "which provides overall coverage of the iPad, as opposed to the Smart Cover, which only provides coverage of the screen." After doing that, his rash improved significantly.
Nickel rashes are not life-threatening but can be very uncomfortable and may require treatment with steroids and antibiotics.
Read More [via WashingtonPost] [via Hen]