Given the location, the incident caused some panic amongst passengers leading the crew to evacuate everyone to the main terminal building. Apparently, smoke from the device spread through the whole plane and few people knew what was really happening.
The phone belonged to Yarden Leviovej. Her father told Nova TV, "My daughter opened her purse, from which we saw the flames and the heat radiating from it." [Translation]
After the device was inspected, passengers were able to board again; however, Yarden had to leave her iPhone behind.
There have been a few incidents in the past with Apple devices catching fire. Late last year, customers were evacuated from a Vodafone store in Canberra, Australia after a demo iPad unit exploded. Also, a Chinese woman nearly lost her eyesight after her iPhone 5 exploded in her hand. However, most problems of this type have been attributed to third party chargers or damaged devices.
Read More [via Gary]