The most powerful version of Unity to date includes massive graphics improvements and an expanded editor feature set that gives developers everywhere the potential to create incredibly beautiful and innovative gaming experiences across 21 platforms. Additionally, Unity announced the availability of Unity Cloud Build, which enables developers to increase productivity by leveraging the power of cloud computing in order to remain focused on game development.
Unity 5 comes in two editions:
● Unity 5 Professional Edition Unity 5 Professional Edition is all about adding incredible value whether for a small 2-3 person studio or a 100+ person studio with the addition of Unity Cloud Build Pro, Team License, Game Performance Reporting, Asset Store Level 11, Unity Analytics Pro, access to previews and betas and more for the same low price of $75/month subscription.
● Unity 5 Personal Edition Unity 5 Personal Edition is a free solution empowering hobbyists, sole developers, and studios just getting started with all the powerful features found in the Unity engine and editor such as Profiler, Occlusion Culling, Render-to-Texture, and Post-Processing Special Effects as well as all the big Unity 5 features like Physically-based Shading, Enlighten, and reflection probes.
"Unity 5 is a massive step up for Unity that empowers developers to make more beautiful and intricate games that reach bigger audiences, across more platforms," said John Riccitiello, CEO, Unity. "We want everyone to have access to Unity 5 which is why we've increased the value of our royalty-free licenses. Unity 5 Professional starts with the power of Unity 5.0 and adds valuable tools such as Unity Cloud Build Pro and Team License. Unity 5 Personal Edition is for the developer just getting started and offers all the power of the engine and editor for free."
● A Graphics Powerhouse - Unity 5 has massively enhanced graphics capabilities like physically based shading, real-time global illumination with Enlighten, and reflection probes that enable developers to create stunning visual experiences.
● Feature Rich and Highly Flexible Editor - Unity's comprehensive, time-saving, and extensible editor is even more powerful in Unity 5 with 64-bit support, unprecedented audio tools, big improvements to animation, huge physics upgrades, and much more. With Unity 5, developers have the power and flexibility to let their creativity run wild.
● Industry-leading Multiplatform Support - Unity 5's industry leading multiplatform support does the heavy lifting so developers can focus on crafting awesome gaming experiences across 21 different platforms, including the new WebGL target as well as consoles, desktop and mobile.
● Unmatched Efficiency - Boosted in the Cloud Unity's legendary development efficiency reaches new heights with the launch of Unity Cloud Build that taps the power of the cloud to further increase productivity and keep developers' focus where it should be: making great games. To find out more about Unity Cloud Build, which is also available today, visit https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/.
Select New Features:
● The Physically-based Standard Shader to make your materials look consistent in any lighting environment, cross platform.
● Real-time Global Illumination, built on Geomerics Enlighten technology.
● The Audio Mixer, to massively improve audio in your game.
● HDR Reflection Probes to enhance visual fidelity.
● PhysX 3.3 to bring massive performance improvements to 3D physics.
● Major updates to the animation system.
● WebGL preview.
● A 64-bit Editor to handle large projects
● iOS 64-bit support
● New Deferred Rendering
● Graphics Command Buffers
● Improved Linear lighting, HDR, Skybox and Cubemap workflows
● Improved job scheduling system, plus a new CPU Timeline Profiler lets you see and investigate multicore usage
● Improved NavMesh pathfinding system
● Integrated SpeedTree support to create lush, rich and dynamic vegetation
● New Frame Debugger to track down graphical issues in your projects
● Improved Project Wizard
● Updated Standard Assets
● New UI and scripting APIs for AssetBundle Build system
● Access to the new Asset Store Level 11 program: Available for free to Unity 5 Professional customers, and soon to be available to Unity Personal Edition users for $19/month.
Unity 5 Professional and Personal Editions are available for immediate download today at http://unity3d.com/5.