Back in September, Gruber said that when Apple announces its price list for the Watch, he expects "the tech press to have the biggest collective shit-fit in the history of Apple-versus-the-standard-tech-industry shit-fits."
They’re going to say that Jony Ive and Tim Cook have lost their minds. They’re going to wear out their keyboards typing “This never would have happened if Steve Jobs were alive.” They’re going to predict utter and humiliating failure.
Interestingly, and perhaps upsetting to many potential customers, Gruber now believes that it isn't the gold Apple Watch that will cause a 'shit-fit', rather it's the steel model whose price will be surprisingly high.
The only thing I would change about this is that I now think it’s the steel Apple Watch pricing that is going to cause the massive collective shit-fit. Most people have wrapped their heads around the fact that the gold Edition models are going to cost at least $5000, and so have already written off Apple Watch Edition as something for the wealthy luxury market. But the steel Apple Watch, that’s something that most people still look at as for them. And so they expect the starting price to be around $500, and the various leather and metal band options to cost $100-300 more.
Without further ado, here are Gruber's 'guesses' as to what the Apple Watch will cost (38mm/42mm):
● Apple Watch Sport (all colors, with Sport Band): $349/399
● Apple Watch, steel, Sport Band: $749/799
● Apple Watch, steel, Classic Buckle: $849/899
● Apple Watch, steel, Milanese Loop: $949/999
● Apple Watch, steel, Modern Buckle (38mm only): $1199
● Apple Watch, steel, Leather Loop (42mm only): $1299
● Apple Watch, steel, Link Bracelet: $1499/1599
● Apple Watch, space black steel, Link Bracelet: $1899/1999
● Apple Watch Edition, Sport Band: $7499/7999
● Apple Watch Edition, Modern Buckle (38mm only): $9999
● Apple Watch Edition, Classic Buckle (42mm only): $10,999
● Apple Watch Edition, Gold Milanese Loop: $14,999/$16,999
● Apple Watch Edition, Gold Link Bracelet: $17,999/$19,999
If you don't know which models are which, click here to view the 34 Apple Watch configurations that have been announced. Let us know what you think of these price estimates in the comments. You can hit the link below to read more about how Gruber came to these price points.
Please follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates ahead of Apple's event tomorrow.