The app which has grown quickly in popularity suffered a significant blow when Twitter cut off its access to user's social graph. Twitter then released a competing app called Periscope.
Meerkat allows you to stream live video from your phone to all of your Twitter followers at once. Press 'Stream', and instantly your live video stream shows up in your follower's Twitter feeds. When your followers have the app, they will also get pushed notified with your live stream, watch, comment and interact with it using the app.
The rules of Meerkat:
[+] Everything that happens on Meerkat happens on Twitter.
[+] Streams will be pushed to followers in real time via push notifications.
[+] People can only watch it live. There are no reruns.
[+] You can save your streams to your phone, but Meerkat will never keep them.
[+] Watchers can retweet any stream to their followers in real time.
[+] Everyone can watch on web.
[+] Be kind.
What's New In This Version:
Version 1.1 is the first version to be released since we committed our whole team to the project. It is much more stable, and user friendly. We fixed tons of bugs, related to audio video sync, rotation issues, and fixed many crashes. We have also added some features you've been asking for:
- Recommended people to follow [In Search]
- Opt out of comments posting to Twitter as @replies
- Follow new users from inside the stream.
- In app notifications when multiple people you follow begin streaming.
- Ability retweet scheduled streams from the app.
- Now you can discover new streams based on what your friends like, retweet and subscribe to.
- Share your profile to Twitter from the feed. Let others easily follow you.
- Improved Search
You can download Meerkat from the App Store for free.