Apple’s ResearchKit allows you to participate in important medical research studies easily through your iPhone. The American Sleep Apnea Association invites you to join the SleepHealth study to improve our understanding of sleep health. The SleepHealth app is a personalized tool that can help you measure daily activity and track your sleep patterns, as well as test your alertness to help better understand how different factors may affect your sleep. It can also help you better understand your own sleep and contribute to our understanding of how to help improve sleep issues around the world. Join our research effort and start contributing today!
The back-end data solution is provided via Watson Health for ResearchKit, which runs on the secure, HIPAA-enabled Watson Health Cloud and enables researchers to combine data collected via the SleepHealth app with diverse data sources such as medical literature, treatment guidelines, claims data and clinical data. Researchers can also opt to apply Watson Analytics for deeper insights from the data.
“One of our goals at IBM Watson Health is to eliminate silos that hinder collaboration between researchers, patients and clinicians, and create opportunities for these communities to share and learn from one another,” said Kyu Rhee, M.D., chief health officer for Watson Health. “It is exciting to see Watson Health and our ecosystem of partners help advance our understanding of how an essential, yet often under-appreciated factor like sleep impacts so many health outcomes like heart disease and diabetes.”
The app can help you measure your activity through the sensors in your iPhone or the Apple Watch, or any wearable activity device linked to HealthKit.
Record and track your:
• Physical activity through your iPhone or a HealthKit-linked device
• Alertness level each day, testing your reaction time to a stimulus
• Morning and evening checks to understand how your actions actions throughout the day affect your sleep, and how the quality and quantity of your sleep affect your daily actions
Receive reminders and notifications about:
• Your activity and sleep
• Activities and surveys to complete
• Learn about your activity level
• Learn about sleep disorders and their effects
• Receive frequent updates on sleep research and news through the newsfeed
You can download SleepHealth from the App Store for free.