Microsoft Pix captures a burst of 10 frames with each shutter click – some from before the tap – and uses artificial intelligence to select up to three of the best, unique shots. Before the remaining frames are deleted, the app uses data from the entire burst to remove noise, and then intelligently brightens faces, beautifies skin and adjusts the picture’s color and tone. These best, enhanced images are ready in about a second.
While the app is selecting and enhancing the best of the burst, another set of algorithms sorts through the frames to determine whether any motion would make for an interesting looping video within the image, such as a person’s hair tussled by the wind or the cascade of a waterfall in the background. If so, the app will loop the specific motion for a Harry Potter-esque effect called Live Image.
Microsoft Pix also ships with Microsoft Hyperlapse for mobile, a technology that Joshi developed in 2015 to smooth as well as speed up video into visually appealing time-lapses. Now available on iOS, Microsoft Hyperlapse is already available for Android and Windows Phone users. It employs image stabilization algorithms and intelligently selects which frames to keep for optimal flow in time lapses.
• People-First – People are the most important photo subjects, so Microsoft Pix uses many intelligent features to help them look their best, without creating extra work for you.
• Smart – Microsoft Pix is a bit like having a pro photographer inside your camera, tweaking settings, selecting the best shots, and enhancing them on the fly.
• Fun – Microsoft Pix helps you have fun with photos and videos, by doing things like creating a short, looping video clip when it senses motion in a photo, or helping you stabilize and time lapse your videos.
• Smart settings – Automatically checks scene and lighting between each shutter tap, and updates settings between each shot.
• Face recognition – When it detects a face in the shot, it automatically optimizes settings to help people look their best.
• Moment capture - Captures a burst of frames every time you tap the shutter button, including frames before and after your tap, so you won’t miss the right moment.
• Best Image(s) - Automatically selects up to 3 of the best and most unique shots from the burst, and immediately deletes the rest, so you don’t waste your phone’s memory or your time comparing and storing similar frames.
• Image quality – Uses discarded burst frames to enhance each Best Image, improving exposure and color, and reducing noise and blur.
• Live Image – Automatically creates a short, looping video, by stitching together the frames from the burst into a Live Image, but ONLY when it senses motion in your shot, so it won’t waste a ton of your phone’s memory.
• Hyperlapse – Videos shot with Microsoft Pix are automatically stabilized for smoother playback, and can be time lapsed and saved at many different speeds.
• Auto-sync - Seamlessly syncs to your camera roll, so you don't have to individually import or save your photos and videos to your camera roll.
• Easy sharing - Uses iOS sharing, so you can seamlessly share to the apps already installed on your phone.
You can download Microsoft Pix from the App Store for free.