The Nest Secure alarm system consists of:
• Nest Guard: an all-in-one security base that provides the alarm, keypad and a motion sensor, along with a friendly voice.
• Nest Detect: a sensor that detects both motion and open or close movement in one compact, battery-powered product. Put it on a window and it will know when it opens. Stick it on a wall and it senses motion in a room. Place it on a door and it can do both.
• Nest Tag: a convenient fob that can attach to a keychain, allowing you to easily arm and disarm Nest Secure without a passcode. Nest Tags are easy to share with family members and trusted people who regularly enter the home, like dog walkers.
Additionally, Nest is unveiling:
• Nest Hello video doorbell – Nest’s first video doorbell combines the trusted security and intelligence of a Nest Cam with the familiar convenience of a doorbell.
• Nest Cam IQ outdoor security camera – Purpose-built outdoor security camera that protects homes with best-in-class imaging and intelligence, and tamper resistant, weatherproof components.
"Today, Nest is delivering on the next phase of our strategy to create the thoughtful home," said Marwan Fawaz, chief executive officer of Nest. “We’ve had quite a year so far, expanding into 11 more countries, growing our product portfolio with the successful launches of Nest Cam IQ indoor and the Nest Thermostat E, and today we’re disrupting yet another product industry: home security. By building product experiences our customers love, Nest has experienced more than 60% growth on devices
Nest Secure is the first alarm system that is actually enjoyable to live with, designed to be convenient for homeowners as they come and go. Everyone in the family has a different routine, so Nest provides multiple ways to arm and disarm: by tapping Nest Tag onto Nest Guard, through the Nest app, or by entering a code on the Nest Guard keypad.
Nest Secure makes it easy to monitor from anywhere, sending a notification if something needs attention. Customers have the option to add additional monitoring and deterrence by adding Nest Cams to their system, which are all controlled from the same Nest app.
Nest Detect sensors combine both motion and open/close detection so they can be placed on either doors, windows or walls. They also provide the option to temporarily bypass the alarm on the way out, with the press of a button, thanks to a feature called Quiet Open. And if someone forgets to turn on the alarm? Nest sends a Remind Me notification to arm it directly from the app.
Nest Guard is designed to remain on guard – with battery backup and an optional cellular backup service – even if Wi-Fi is down or the power is out. And with an easy, voice-guided setup that doesn’t require tools, screws or wires, it’s simple for either the customer or a Nest Pro to install.
Nest Hello Video Doorbell
Nest Hello can detect a person, then send an alert and a snapshot, even if that person doesn’t ring the bell. With Nest Aware, customers can get alerts when strangers or suspicious activity like people talking or dogs barking are detected.
Nest Hello customers can engage with guests and strangers at the door from anywhere and have a natural conversation with HD Talk and Listen. Echo suppression and ambient noise cancellation ensure it’s easy to hear each other, even on noisy streets. A list of pre-recorded responses makes it easy to quickly and effortlessly answer visitors with one tap from the app.
Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
Featuring a brand new design, Nest Cam IQ outdoor is a camera that does more and requires less time from customers. Instead of just showing what’s happening, it will deliver critical, actionable information via an alert – like spotting someone unfamiliar in the yard – so users know that the alert is important.
Not only is Nest bringing new hardware to its camera portfolio, but will provide customers the option to add the Google Assistant to Nest Cam IQ indoor. It’s the first security camera to have the Google Assistant built in, and will be available via a free software update for all current and new customers this winter. The Google Assistant adds a new level of intelligence to Nest Cam IQ indoor, including the ability to ask questions, control the home, and manage tasks.
Security Product Integrations
As previously announced, Nest has been working with Yale, which brings 175 years of expertise in locks, to build a modern take on a secure deadbolt. The new lock, as well as Nest’s own products, leverages both the Thread and Weave technologies to securely communicate with Nest Secure and other Nest products, even if the power is out or there's no Internet connection. The Nest + Yale lock will be available early next year.
Customers can disarm the Nest Secure alarm system when they unlock the Nest + Yale lock, and they’ll be able to unlock the door when they notice a friend (or delivery person) through the Nest Hello video doorbell.
Nest will also launch a new accessory, called Nest Connect, that will ensure Nest Secure will work in large homes, as well as enable the Nest + Yale lock, and similar products, to connect to the Internet and be controllable via the Nest App.
Pricing and Availability
Nest Secure can be pre-ordered beginning today on nest.com and will ship in November, when it will become available at leading retailers in the U.S.
• The Nest Secure starter pack, which includes Nest Guard, two Nest Detects and two Nest Tags, has a suggested retail price of $499.
• Customers will be able to purchase additional Nest Detects for $59 and Nest Tags for $25.
• A Nest Secure starter pack plus Nest Cam Outdoor will be available on nest.com and at Best Buy for $598, a $100 discount.
• Cellular backup service will be available on nest.com for $5 per month or $50 per year.
• Nest has partnered with MONI to offer its award-winning, 24/7 professional monitoring service in the coming months.
• Nest Secure will launch in Europe and Canada next year.
Nest Cam IQ outdoor will be launching in the United States, Canada and all Nest European markets in November at leading retailers, and can be pre-ordered on nest.com beginning today.
• Nest Cam IQ outdoor is available at a suggested retail price of $349 or in a two-pack for $598.
Nest Hello will be available in the U.S. and Canada in the first quarter of 2018, and Europe later next year.