Two long years have passed since our last encounter with an Apple TV. Today on our teardown table, we have a shiny new Apple TV 4K plucked straight from the technology orchards of Cupertino.
● The bottom panel has been redesigned for what looks like some serious thermal venting.
● Bye-bye, USB-C port.
● It looks like Apple merged the new fan with the heat sink/EMI shield assembly from the Apple TV 4th Generation
● Replaceable fan driven by a Nidec brushless motor.
● Apple 343S00198 64-bit A10X Fusion processor
● SK Hynix H9HCNNNBRUMLQR 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM and SK Hynix H9HCNNN8KUMLQR 1 GB LPDDR4 RAM for a total of 3 GB
● The new power supply is rated for 12 V at 1.083 A.
Repairability Score: 8 out of 10
● Plastic clips hold the case together for easy opening.
● Modular components make for easy disassembly and repair.
● The power supply is modular and features a removable AC-in jack.
● Standard Torx screws hold everything together.
● All major components are soldered to the logic board, meaning fixing any port problems will require board-level soldering or a full board replacement.
Take a look at a few photos below or hit the link for the full teardown.