Amazon Alexa users can now use the Alexa app to enable or disable new voice unlock functionality for their Schlage Sense and Connect locks. The feature is disabled by default for security. Users will be required to log into their Amazon Alexa app using their password to enable the feature initially, then create a unique PIN which must be spoken before Alexa will unlock the door. The feature is immediately disabled after three incorrect voice code attempts.
This new functionality is an enhancement to Schlage and Amazon Alexa’s current features, which include verbally locking or checking the status of the front door via Alexa-enabled devices.
To use the Schlage Sense smart deadbolt with Alexa, you'll need to purchase a Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter. Using Alexa with the Schlage Connect smart deadbolt requires a Samsung SmartThings hub or a Wink hub.
“Schlage has been at the forefront of the Internet of Things industry since launching the Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt,” said Rob Martens, futurist at Allegion, the maker of Schlage locks. “This new integration and functionality is a testament to our ongoing commitment to raise the bar for innovation, convenience and security.”
Schlage Smart Deadbolt features include:
● Create and delete up to 30 unique access codes so trusted friends and family can enter using their code at the lock’s touchscreen;
● Schedule access codes so guests can only enter when you allow;
● Pair with a smart-home hub (Connect) or Wi-Fi Adapter (Sense) to check on the lock’s status from anywhere, so you never have to wonder if the front door was left unlocked;
● View past activity to see which codes have been used and when;
● Update settings and check battery life; and
● Graded Best in Residential Security, Durability and Finish from the Builders Hardware Manufactures Association (BHMA).
The Schlage Sense deadbolt supports Apple HomeKit and can be purchased from here for $200. The Schlage Connect deadbolt supports Z-Wave and can be purchased for $195. The Schlage WiFi Adapter required for Alexa unlocking costs $69.