Bootcamp Drops Support for Windows XP and Vista on New MacBooks

Show Article
Comments (11)
teraflow - February 27, 2011 at 3:15pm
To anyone complaining about this: think for a moment, Apple sells its own computers (MacBooks, iMac...) and they sell it with Mac OS, which is their own OS. If they have to make drivers to every goddamn OS in order to support running them, they are losing millions of $$$, plus XP an Vista are discontinued. If you need Windows, buy a laptop.
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Not on your life - February 27, 2011 at 6:42pm
Fanboy... NTFS support!
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Neerav Kothari - February 28, 2011 at 12:35am
they earn many millions more simply because macs can also run windows. thats whats make mac usable everywhere, even at work. if they were to only loose rather than gain, they wouldn\'t support windows at the first place. if my MacBook were incapable of running windows, i would had never bought it. u can practically do without os x, but not without windows simply because of every other machine out there (95%) is a windows machine. Am an Apple fanatic too…. but reality is reality. Neerav PS: i think the new macbooks can\'t run vista and xp cause MS must not have licensed Apple to support it anymore. I\'m sure people will find a work around.
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
? - February 28, 2011 at 5:32am
Thick fanboi, \" If they have to make drivers to every goddamn OS\" - every OS!, the discussion is about support for two massively subscribed OS\'s. It impacts many people, financially as well as functionaly. There are many of us out here who rely on interoperability between systems to carry out our daily business and not bleat on about how Apple\'s way should be the only way, I like Apple products as well as Windows products, but I base my decisions on what the system can provide for me and not how shiny or cool it is or who made it....... now go back to pleasuring yourself over a Mac magazine
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
teraflow - February 28, 2011 at 6:14am
Again: XP and Vista are discontinued, which means they will not be updated anymore and no one will give support for them. This means Apple will not only have to make the drivers, but also will have to deal with problem, issues and more, when it\'s a Microsoft problem.
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Neerav Kothari - February 28, 2011 at 6:36am
duh!!! now where did that come from? there are hoards of manufacturers making drivers for xp and vista that work! apple has ALREADY made drivers for xp and vista that work. atleast it could had bundled those if not improve on it. this is ridiculous. just because we like apple doesn\'t mean some of us have to defend every wrong that it does!
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Rod - February 27, 2011 at 1:39pm
That sucks. Unless it means that they will be supporting NTFS drives. Right now the only reason I use xp on my bootcamp so I can have it fat32 so I can read and write to my bootcamp partition while in OSX. Are they adding NTFS Support?
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Boywonda - February 27, 2011 at 1:52pm
I use something call MacFUSE, or something like that. I googled how to write, save, etc to a NTFS drive from Mac and it gave me two download links. Installed and it works perfectly
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Not on your life - February 27, 2011 at 12:26pm
That\'s stupid... XP is still defacto OS in my studios which is what I use my MacBook in/at.
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
SuperTiti - February 27, 2011 at 12:32pm
That\'s totally crazy indeed ! Even Apple forces to buy new Microsoft products ! O_0
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam
Neerav Kothari - February 28, 2011 at 12:40am
I think this is something about license issues. its one of MSe\'s passive aggressive strategies to force users to move to windows 7. there is no reason why apple would force people to move to 7. infact, that would decrease its user base because many people still prefer xp over the later 2. infact, only ones i know having 7 are the ones that have it pre bundled in their machines.
Reply · Like · Mark as Spam