iPhone Personal Hotspot Only Supports Three Wi-Fi Devices

Show Article
Comments (17)
NeHoMaR - March 5, 2011 at 11:52am
What IP this thing gives to the connected devices? I mean, is like a router or like a modem? as a router it gives generic IPs ending in 100, 101, .. and as modem it will give dinamic IPs directly from the ISP. The difference is one is unlimited and the other limited.
Hiren Patel - March 4, 2011 at 8:32pm
MyWi!!!!!
Kenyandave - March 4, 2011 at 8:31pm
Jailbreak Jailbreak Jailbreak!
MG - March 4, 2011 at 8:15pm
Does ATT charge extra for this?
Mr.D - March 4, 2011 at 8:28pm
Yes. A tethering plan is required. $45/mo for 4Gb with $10/gb for overages.
Mr.D - March 4, 2011 at 7:22pm
3 is more than enough. Why would someone ever need 5+?
DanCJ - March 4, 2011 at 7:37pm
Yeah. Trying to share a 3G connection with more than a couple of devices would be hopeless.
iceblu121 - March 4, 2011 at 10:42pm
i agree with both how much data u think you can send to 3 devices lmao ur lucky we can even stream high quality youtube video with the use of MY3G for god sake watching youtube without my3g u mind as well be blind so dont know why people are gettin all crappy on only being able to stream to 3 devices plus as was said MYWI when in doubt but ur lucky if more then 3 can hold a connection with att super duper slow speeds lol. people who pay for tethering are suckers! i would never total rip off and once u get the tethering plan i head u have to drop your unlimited data ?make sence? if u have unlimited data and u wanna use the same damn data u pay $30 for why pay more for just the privledge to tether cause thats what ur really paying for lets say u only tether once and a while but u want the option to be able to ... well u gotta pay more money? these companies are nickel and diming us for everything they can get and you know why.cause they can and people IDIOTS! pay for it . we have the jailbreakin community and dev of these great 3rd party apps to thank. my 2 cents
Jon - March 4, 2011 at 10:42pm
Apple please......let us decide.....once again!!!!!total control.....jailbrake+mywi= total freedom.......everybody else is 5 devices....apple....just 3.....WHY?????!? Sick!
Pain Reaper - March 5, 2011 at 8:19am
With the quality of our 3G networks here in Sweden it won\'t be much of a problem.. Wish AT&T would put som effort into their network, their years behind many other countries.. I\'m not posting this to spit at you americans or anything offensive and I apologize if I offend anyone with my comment.
iphone user - March 5, 2011 at 9:09am
you\'re an idiot!! why would you want to tether even more than 1 device or even 2. Freedom has nothing to do with it, 5 devices tethered is the stupidest thing, and its only a spec. people are more concernced about specs than they are the user experience.
Mr.D - March 5, 2011 at 11:19am
@Pain Reaper Do you realize that Sweden is the size of California and it\'s way easier and cheaper to get it all covered with 4G?
Pain Reaper - March 5, 2011 at 3:43pm
@Mr.D That\'s true. But our 3G is better in average than your best 4G (pretty much).. Why doesn\'t AT&T expand their network with more connection points to ensure a better signal and a better coverage overall..? AT&T have a larger area to cover then our carriers (which also share antennas with one another so they all have the maximum amount of connection points) but AT&T have about a many antennas in the entire USA as we have in one town.. Why doesn\'t AT&T listen to the people and do something about it.. I know it\'s not as easy as my comments might make you believe I think it is but AT&T is pure pooh (according to what you hear and read about them from a LOT of their customers)..
Tom - March 5, 2011 at 3:56pm
I agree with you 100% iphone user. There\'s such an emphasis put on specs rather than the experience of it. Man, half the time I\'m lucky to manage to load a page around my university campus because of the poor network. Couldn\'t imagine needing to put 5 devices on it. 3 is more than enough in my eyes. If you want more, tether with USB and use the Mac\'s internet sharing to send it to unlimited people and each of you can have 5kb/s. My buddy has been all over me about 4\" screens and how great they are. I just played with his Desire HD. That thing is a fucking monster. The day Apple goes 4\" is the day I switch. I DON\'T want a phone that big ever, but if it helps you imagine that your dick is 4\" bigger, go for it. I don\'t need a 12MP camera in my phone. I take about 5 pictures a month max. 12MP is simply not a necessity. I\'d rather some improved shutter speeds and keep it at 5MP. The only things I want from Apple with new iPhones are this: better battery life, better notification system, some way to hide all the goddamn FCC stuff on the back of the phone (I\'d love just the apple, with the FCC stuff stamped on the antenna), better sounding speakers, and to tell developers to double check their graphics for Retina support. I\'m so sick of pixelated garbage.
Pain Reaper - March 5, 2011 at 4:00pm
Not that it\'s all gold and shiny diamonds over here but with the prices AT&T have they should be able to increase the coverage and signal strength of their network..? I\'m really just curious rather than "my country is better than yours" (every country has it\'s + and -).. And since I\'ve never even been in the states all I have to go on is what I read online.. So once again, I\'m not trying to be offensive or rude and apologize if it seams so.
iAgree - March 5, 2011 at 5:55pm
People don\'t realize this is a business, before there was smart phones people were connecting there laptops to data cards, but more and more people are getting smart phones and connecting the laptop to that, and because of this data card usage dropped. The unlimited plan or 2 gig data pro is for the phone only, tethering is a whole different option and should cost more. Just like a car comes with a radio but you want XM, you are not going to get that upgrade free, you have to pay for it. also everyone complained that ATT sucks and Verizon is better, but look at them now. as a business they only offered unlimited data to get customers, but are soon removing that feature, also you have to pay more to tether, so what you can tether 2 more devices than ATT... big deal!!! As iphone user said everyone is more concerned about specs, and this is ridiculous, but yet look how may products APPLE pushes out compared to android and others combined, they cant even keep up. oh and which platform get viruses on the phones, not apple, android, but for some reason everyone says its the best. now imagine this on a tablet....
ios 4.3 - March 5, 2011 at 5:57pm
actually you do have a choice. get rid of your phone and get the one that can tether 5 devices, which is stupid if you ask me
PayPal App For iPhone Gets Support for Gift Cards, Security Key, and More
The PayPal iPhone App has been updated with s...
iPhone 6 Boiled in Coca-Cola [Video]
Check out this video of an iPhone 6 being boi...
Official iClarified App Gets New Login/Register Views, Profile Pics in Comments, More [Download]
The official iClarified app has been updated ...
Chromecast App Gets Updated With Material Design
Google has updated its Chromecast app with it...
Apple TV Remote Interaction Concept [Video]
Radu Dutzan, a product designer at Onda, has ...