Google Goggles Lets Users Search for Objects Using Images
Google Goggles lets users search for objects using images rather than words. Simply take a picture with your phone's camera and Google will return relevant search results.
Currently Goggles identifies landmarks, works of art, and products (among other things).
How it Works:
* We first send the user's image to Google's datacenters
* We then create signatures of objects in the image using computer vision algorithms
* We then compare signatures against all other known items in our image recognition databases; and
* We then figure out how many matches exist; and
* We then return one or more search results, based on available meta data and ranking signals; and
* We do all of this in just a few seconds
This technology is still in its infancy so Goggles is still labeled a labs project. It is however available to download from the Android Market.