iPhone Dev-Team Releases RedSn0w 0.9 Beta for Windows, Mac
The iPhone Dev-Team has released a beta of RedSn0w 0.9 which performs jailbreaking, unlocking, and customizing for the latest iPhone firmware.
Customizations include boot logos, recovery logos, and verbose boot.
The beta supports:
- All iPhones and iPod touches except the iPod touch 3G
- Windows and Mac OSX (x86)
- Apple firmware 3.0 and 3.1.2
When it's out of beta, it will support the iPod touch 3G, PPC OSX, and Linux.
How is it different from PwnageTool?
redsn0w doesn't require a system restore like PwnageTool does (it doesn't even use iTunes at all). On the other hand, PwnageTool can prevent your baseband from being upgraded when you upgrade your firmware, preserving your unlock. (redsn0w doesn't touch your baseband but it doesn't help preserve it during an upgrade either). redsn0w works by modifying your current filesystem, so your existing baseband, data and applications should remain intact.
How is it different from blackra1n?
- It uses our original Pwnage bootrom exploit for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and iPod 1G. (Because it's a bootrom exploit, it can't be fixed by Apple without a new hardware release.) Note that redsn0w 0.9 does use the USB exploit for iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G running 3.1.2, but that exploit will be fixed in Apple's next FW release.
- It offers custom logos and verbose boot
- It installs Cydia without needing a separate download
- It's not as fast :) (but redsn0w handles more variations :))
If you have a late-model iPhone 3GS, or if you have an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with MC, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to tethered rebooting. That means you need to connect your device to a computer to complete the boot after a reset. Also, these devices cannot have custom logos.
We will be posting detailed tutorials on how to use RedSn0w 0.9 as soon as the beta is finalized. Please stay tuned for more information.
You can download RedSn0w 0.9 Beta from here: Windows, Mac