Government Declares iPhone Jailbreaking and Unlocking Legal [Update x2]

Government Declares iPhone Jailbreaking and Unlocking Legal [Update x2]

Franzl - July 27, 2010 at 4:18pm
I for myself can’t live without apps like SBSettings and Firewall iP. Especially Firewall iP from CydiaStore, which can stop Apps from sending out data and even block ads I feel safer with that tool.
liox30 - July 27, 2010 at 4:03pm
mmmmmm, now spirit or any other JB & UL method may not be for free....
Jay - July 26, 2010 at 4:18pm
Does this mean I can take a jailbroken device and have it serviced at apple store under warranty?
Tunger - July 26, 2010 at 4:55pm
I\'ll try to put this more succinctly: \"This Changes Nothing.\" Really folks, it just means it isn\'t illegal to jailbreak or unlock. It doesn\'t compel Apple in any way, shape or form to alter their warranty policy or how they design, build, sell their products. All it means is they can\'t use the threat of the law to compel you to stop jailbreaking. In fact, it wouldn\'t surprise me if in the near future Apple releases a statement that jailbreaking an iphone is still against Apple\'s policy and that thy still believe it makes the device inherently less stable. The only thing they can no longer do, is say it\'s illegal. Get it?
Tunger - July 26, 2010 at 4:03pm
Everybody just calm down.. This isn\'t going to change Apple\'s business model, it isn\'t going to mean iPhone sales are going to skyrocket, it doesn\'t mean Apple is going to sell unlocked phones. Everything will continue as it has - Apple will keep selling \"jailed\" devices under contract with specific carriers, the Dev-Team will keep looking for exploits (go guys!), Apple will keep trying to patch the holes, Apple will continue to claim jailbreaking voids the warranty, etc, etc. All this means is that Apple can no longer threaten jailbreakers to cease and desist under the guise of illegaility.
David - July 26, 2010 at 4:09pm
Finally, someone that makes sense!
digihead - July 26, 2010 at 5:02pm
apple IS selling unlocked iphones. i have on for instance - bought from apple store, simlock free! oh, btw, UK apple store! ;) and general public, regular iphone users dont care about jailbreaking at all, what they care about is unlocking, but this thing is sorted in uk too - recently unlocked from o2 my girlfriends 3gs absolutely for free!
Tunger - July 26, 2010 at 6:33pm
Yes, but it\'s not the general business model, and that\'s what I\'m referring to. And while you are correct that the majority of people care about the unlock, you can\'t have it without the jailbreak. And the jailbreak community does care about all of the freedom and functionality you can gain through a jailbreak, aside from just the unlock. It\'s all besides the point, which is that this decision doesn\'t change any of it fundamentally.
iboy - July 26, 2010 at 2:48pm
OKKKKK WOWW LOL I FEEEL LIKE THE BIGGEST DUMB ASS OUT THERE..SORRY EVERY ONE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS BELOW..I GOT MIXED UP WITH LEGAL AND ILLEGAL I THOUGHT LEGAL MEANT ITS PROHIBITED LIKE CANT BE DONE..SORRY LOL I FEEL LIKE A DUMB ASS FOR REALL...I BEEN UP ALL NIGHT SO MY HEAD IS OUT OF PLACE
Hash - July 26, 2010 at 3:23pm
LOL... Too funny...
iboy - July 26, 2010 at 3:28pm
is ur name hashem abraham??
Chris - July 26, 2010 at 1:59pm
so wheres the jailbreak !!
Nick - July 26, 2010 at 2:16pm
They have already jailbroken the iPhone 4, but they are spending time working on the coding they use and the program to jailbreak the iPhone 4. Basically they want to make sure that jailbroken iPhone 4\'s run smoothly without any problems. They might also wait until the 4.1 update is released, that way Apple won\'t be able to patch the hole and the dev team won\'t have to find another way to jailbreak it.
JP - July 26, 2010 at 5:36pm
@Comex already said that he is NOT waiting on the 4.1 update on his official twitter page. Follow these guys on Twitter to get the REAL updates and not the BS people be posting up on here. @MuscleNerd said that they were having problems with Facetime among other \"issues\". Now this is in NO WAY in offence to the Dev-Team but I have since been tired of waiting to jb/unlock my 3gs and just sold it to buy a factory unlocked one instead. That way I can at least use the damn thing until this jb comes out for me to have Cydia. I\'m sure I will live until then...
Ken - July 26, 2010 at 1:19pm
LET\'S PARTYYYYYY!!
Ecua4ever - July 26, 2010 at 1:35pm
YEAH LET\'S GO TO PARTY
Billy Bob - July 26, 2010 at 1:16pm
So in theory does this mean that anybody can make any app for the iPhone, and sell it through Cydia (or any other app) for example without Apple threatening or menacing them even if they have legit apps in the app store ?.. I can see many different app stores popping up now :) Fuck you Apple .. you bought this on yourself . hahahahahahahaha Now fix the fucking latest bootrom so I can get my iPhone freed, unlocked .. and get my FUCKING WIFI back
iboy - July 26, 2010 at 1:15pm
i think thats a stupid call..now less people will have iphones to use..because almost half the people that have iphones have them with tmobile or other carriers like overseas or other countries...other countries use iphones that are unlocked so i dont think jailbreaking or unlocking should be legal...apple should start selling unlocked iphones for different carriers..FUK AT&T not everyone wants ur piece of shit service or ur expensive plans for an iphone
Nick - July 26, 2010 at 2:14pm
I don\'t even know how you came up with an opinion like that, or why jailbreaking should be illegal, but if anything more iPhones will be sold now because people can truly enjoy the freedom of not being restricted by Apple. Who cares if other companies use iPhones that are unlocked? That has nothing to do with the US, or jailbreaking for that matter. I don\'t understand people like you, who is Apple or any manufacturer for that matter to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own device that I purchased with my money.
iboy - July 26, 2010 at 2:42pm
im not against with is but what im trying to say other people wanna enjoy having an iphone and having it with different carriers..like me i have all idevices prdoucts from imac,itouch or an ipad so u know i gotta have the iphone but i love the iphone so much and i bought every iphone ever made but my carrier is with tmobile on my families plan so thats why unlock should i always be there...but i mean jailbreak like having free apps from installous should be legal because thats downloading apps that cost money for free and the person that made that app wont get his profit if its not downloaded from the app store...but unlocked iphones only hurt at&t and n ot everyone wants to be with at&t to have an iphone...so the best thing apple should do (my opinion) is sell iphones for every carrier like tmobile, at&t etc...like going to an apple store purchasing an iphone u get asked what carrier would u like it for..i think apple should do that or just every year provide a new i phone to different companies..now thats my openion..so i would love for apple to not making unlock legal because im really looking forward for my new iphone 4 to work on tmobile
NeHoMaR - July 26, 2010 at 12:56pm
I am really surprised about this. How could USA make something to help the people and not the millionaires? amazing! This should be a fake.
America?... Really?..... - July 31, 2010 at 10:14pm
Agreed!..LOL coming from America anything of this nature is a shock!.. helping the people?... really?... a still think it\'s a joke...lol America is so pro-rich that wen something like this happens, the rest of the world don\'t believe it!...LOL Ohh! and good luck with Goldman Sachs ruining your way of life!.... you need it.