Apple is Locking Down iPhone Batteries to Discourage User Replacement [Video]

Apple is Locking Down iPhone Batteries to Discourage User Replacement [Video]

wolsta - August 8, 2019 at 8:38pm
Battery being swapped with a non genuine one. iPhone sends message home to Apple. In case of a damage or worse Apple can prove they are not responsible for it. I respect that decision.
PaulieP - August 9, 2019 at 5:07am
Agreed, very well spoken.
1reader - August 10, 2019 at 2:28am
Latest news (from CNET) says even genuine Apple battery will give same message. And the only option to avoid that message is to have it done at their store...
damonart - August 15, 2019 at 1:29pm
So they should allow the genuine one to be sold and replaced.
1reader - August 8, 2019 at 4:51pm
See PaulieP and “voice of reason” what I was saying before: they don’t want to use (keep your item purchased) for to long, with your hard earned money, but to be in line for the next item from shelf. In other words to be dependent on them (software and hardware) kinda looks like “slavery” (like someone said: “now what are you looking at, go to work I need your money!”)
PaulieP - August 8, 2019 at 7:36pm
1reader, I prefer this actually. When users try to fix things they usually end up making them worse and then they blame Apple. To avoid this, I’m sure Apple has implemented this policy. Only that, but it’s safer if Apple controls the batteries considering there is a possibility that batteries can combust. Apple has a responsibility to their customers and as an Apple customer, I appreciate that they’re safe guarding the device from imbeciles who try to fix things on their own. Imagine if you lived in an apartment building and just one tenant decided to replace a battery and did it wrong in the whole building Burns down. I know that’s a bit extreme, however it’s definitely a possibility. I would not want to wake up to a fire in my apartment because some imbecile was being cheap. Thank you
1reader - August 8, 2019 at 7:50pm
Yet, so many people changed their batteries until now with no problems. Usually companies to avoid liabilities once you open their products don’t offer any money or guarantee, in case of cars and other machinery there is no problem in changing a battery. For the fingerprint part (being paired to MB) in the case of i5s - i7 again really bad move. Some Chinese company can’t steal someone’s fingerprints when someone is j replacing with a 3rd party button (that information would have to be moved through iOS). If that was the thinking but I’m afraid it was Apple asking ppl to go to their stores.
1reader - August 8, 2019 at 7:59pm
Btw I think changing the battery in a iPhone was the easiest fix for older iPhones. Have to mention that lately was getting difficult still was a easy (at least for me) fix in keeping an old device still relevant/functional (especially with new software that slows down if batteries are less than 80 something % capacity which = 1- 1.5y old device if daily charge occurs or 500cycles).
PaulieP - August 9, 2019 at 5:09am
If you can’t afford it you shouldn’t buy it plain and simple. If you can’t afford to fix it proper through the manufacturer then you shouldn’t buy it. Apple is doing what they should to make sure people are safe and secure and at the same time covering their derrières from frivolous lawsuits. I respect their decision and stand by my opinion.If either of the first two sentences apply to you, I rest my case.
ericidle - August 8, 2019 at 4:44pm
And if a phone catches fire due to a 3rd party battery Apple still gets the blame