How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.2.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.2.1]

Rands - July 20, 2011 at 5:23pm
Please help! I was following this tutorial and got to the last step, as I was restoring it in itunes I kept getting the following message: "The iPhone cannot be restored at this moment because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable" Now I'm stuck in DFU mode, what should I do?? :(
Tony - July 20, 2011 at 5:33pm
Hold the home and power buttons till you see the apple icon.
Rands - July 20, 2011 at 7:02pm
Okay, I just rebooted it using blackra1n and it's working again. It's still tethered and running on the old iOS, but at least I got my phone back and didn't lose any of the info. Guess I'll just stick to 3.1.2.
Pat_O - April 4, 2011 at 3:35pm
Hi All, Great work Dev Team. Now my question was, I created a custom restore(using PwnageTool) for my iPhone3G 4.2.1 and managed to jailbreak it. The problem that I now have is, both wi-fi and bluetooth are not functioning. For example, wi-fi has address but doesn\'t pick up any signals. I have tried to re-jailbreak but still get the same problem. what solution can you recommend?
dragonmorphs - March 12, 2011 at 9:14pm
So I just went through all the steps and when I went to restore the Custom_Restore, I got a message from iTunes \"The iPhone \"iPhone could not be restored. This decise isn\'t eligible for the requested build.\" What to do? My iphone is 4.2.1, BB 5.15.04, bought unlocked. My macbook I used is up to date and so is my iTunes... could that be the reason?
david - March 18, 2011 at 12:13pm
i get the same error message with my factory unlocked 3gs!
dragonmorphs - March 18, 2011 at 10:38pm
Yeaaa. I think it\'s \'cause we don\'t have SHSH (well i didn\'t save any with TU) and Apple isn\'t allowing anymore 4.2.1.... i think
david - March 19, 2011 at 8:00am
i checked out greenpoison, and it worked, and apart from that its much easier :-)
Miguel - April 2, 2011 at 5:31pm
I just ran into the same error trying to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.2.1. How did you guys resolve it? Thanks!
iHacker - March 4, 2011 at 4:49pm
To all queries regarding BB 06.15.00 : worked Wonderfully!! Successfully \"Un-tethered\" my previously jailbroken tethered device! NO issues/bugs whatsoever! iPhone 3G [S] with NEWER bootrom previously jailbroken but TETHERED on iPad baseband 06.15.00 on iOS 4.2.1. Here\'s what you do: 1.0 Just follow the above given procedure (Step by Step). 2.0 If error 16xx is encountered in iTunes during restore, don\'t worry, DO NOT TOUCH the iPhone (leave it on DFU mode plugged in) and RESTART the computer. 3.0 Open iTunes (if not automatically) and repeat the \"Option-Restore\" process. This should do the trick and voila!!, you just got yourself an UNTETHERED Jailbreak!
jo-b - March 14, 2011 at 9:10am
Hi, the Mac-Restart doesn\'t solve the problem here. iTunes always gives the message: \"The iPhone cannot be restored, because the iPod-Updateserver[!!] isn\'t available yet.\" or \"Restoring is not possible\" (>> both free translated from german.) Restoring from the old (4.1) ipsw is also not possible. Are there any other ideas out there? tia jo-b -- iPhone 3GS, MBP 10.6.6, iTunes 10.2.1
claudia - March 3, 2011 at 7:13pm
I made it, thank you sooo much! It worked the second time y tried.
T1m - February 25, 2011 at 4:28am
So if I\'m officially unlocked and I only want the jb, can I update my bb. Or should I stick with 05.13.04?!? Thanks
Jigar Doshi - February 24, 2011 at 2:17pm
hi im currently using iphone 3gs 4.2.1 jailbroken through redsn0w and then have run ipad baseband to upgrade the baseband and unlocked using ultrasn0w. now my iphone is working but evertime by battery goes off, i have to connect iphone to redsn0w and then boot the phone. i am confused will the help? will i need to connect to redsn0w everytime when battery goes off?
windows version - February 22, 2011 at 10:29pm
do you have a windows version? i found sn0wbreeze and says its like Pwnage Tool for windows. is it safe to use it? I only trust tools posted on iclarified.com Thanks.
Jess - February 22, 2011 at 12:43pm
Hi I have a 3gs bb 05.12.01 I followed all the steps below but when restoring I get the 1611 error, I allready tried to plug and unplug iphone but in the screen with the apple logo and scroll band it never starts loading... and then gives me the error, any idea why??
Tony - February 22, 2011 at 10:30pm
Did you install Tinyumbrella or change your hosts file?
T1M - March 15, 2011 at 4:46am
Have you tried re-pwnage the firmware. Best download the firmware restore again and create another custom firmware. Worked for me. I was stuck on apple logo and connect to iTunes. Believe it was the same error! GL
Ryan C Lee - February 21, 2011 at 9:43pm
Hey All I\'m in Buenos Aires using \'Personal\'! So I JB/unlocked the my iPhone 3GS (Version 4.2.1 (8c148a) Modem Firmware:06.15.00) using the redsn0w application, and then within Cydia I used ultrasn0w to unlock the phone. This worked, however i could only tether the jailbreak and therefore was unable to turnoff or reboot, which was fine until I let the battery die. After repeating the steps, I was only able to receive phone calls/ text messages (however i could call to check my phone balance, and when i friend call she told me she received a message for Personal saying I was trying to contact her). So I found this site, followed the directions (except I downloaded Ultrasn0w through custom packages and now Cydia because it wasn\'t working). 3rd time it worked! I\'m now able to turn my phone on and off without having to re-tether. BUT, I\'m still only receiving texts and calls???? Do you\'ll think it is a phone company issue?
claudia - March 3, 2011 at 5:04pm
Hey there!, Im now in Buenos Aires, and i had my iphone working perfectly, but i updated de iphone trhough Itunes and now it\'s block or something. Th screen only shows the connect to itunes image. I follow the steps here but it didn;t work it says error (21). Help please!!
Ryan Lee - March 3, 2011 at 5:08pm
I believe the update might have killed your chances (unless you updated it using the update provided above. If not, keep trying! It took me 4 or 5 times to get it to work! suerte!
claudia - March 3, 2011 at 5:20pm
thanks! i\'ll kee p trying a friend from cr told me that it can be unlock, it\'s just not too easy