Volkswagen Debuts the iBeetle [Photos]
Volkswagen has announced the iBeetle, one of the first vehicles to have a 'genuine integrative interface' for the iPhone that was coordinated with Apple. The model will be available as a Coupe and Convertible and features colors and equipment that are stylistically linked with Apple. The iPhone will interface with the Beetle and Beetle Convertible via a specially developed app and a docking station.
The newly designed docking station is located centrally on the dashboard of the Beetle: the iPhone simply snaps in to integrate it with the car. Essentially, all iPhone functions can be used in the Beetle; the iPhone can be used to navigate, make calls hands-free, listen to music, and much more.
The Beetle app
When this special app is launched on an iPhone, it can either connect the phone to the Beetle via the docking station or wirelessly. Each option allows for different app functions to be accessed:
● Spotify: lets users stream media such as new songs, customized playlists or online radio stations into the Beetle. Those who wish can post their favorite music directly to friends. In addition, users in the Beetle can switch between “Spotify” and “iTunes” at any time.
● Expert: offers five functions which make the iPhone an extended on-board instrument of the Beetle, such as a G-Meter (for measuring lateral acceleration), oil and coolant temperature gauges for the engine, a chronometer, and a compass.
● Trainer: can be used to compare driving times, distances, and fuel economy values for different routes between any two destinations. Here, too, tips can be posted via social networks like Twitter and Facebook—such as which route is faster to the office.
● Reader: lists the latest messages from social networks like Facebook, and reads iPhone messages aloud.
● Postcard: Sends the current location of the Beetle to friends as a digital postcard with a map motif.
● Photo: Sends photos taken inside the car to numerous social networks. Simply activate it, and the app does the rest.
● Milestones: Available when the smartphone is undocked. Rewards its users with virtual “milestone stickers” for the Beetle when certain tasks have been completed.
The iBeetle will be available in early 2014 and comes with other customized features in addition to the standard iPhone interface. On the exterior, they include standard features such as 18-inch “Disc” alloy wheels (painted in “Galvano Grey” with chrome wheel covers), door mirror housings and side trim panels (above the sill) in “Galvano Grey”, black door sill plates with the “iBeetle” signature, “iBeetle” chrome badges (on the front fender) and a “Chrome pack” (includes chrome trim strips on the sides). In a nod to the iPhone’s color scheme, the new iBeetle can be ordered in “Candy White”, “Oryx White Mother of Pearl Effect”, “Black Monochrome”, “Deep Black Pearl Effect”, “Platinum Grey”, or “Reflex Silver”.
Inside, steering wheel accents and the dash pad are executed in “Galvano Grey”. The iBeetle is also upgraded by a customized shift lever grip, black sport seats in “Vienna” leather, and contrasting seams in light “Ceramique”.
Take a look at a few photos below...
[via Desire This]