When Apple goes to the extreme, we do too. What exactly does it take to be extreme? Whatever it may be, challenge accepted. Join us to find out just what awaits in the new high-rise AirPort Extreme.
● IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
● Beamforming antenna array
● Simultaneous dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
● Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
● Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
● USB 2.0
● Method of entry involves using a metal spudger to release the retaining clips holding the black base of the device.
● Model number A1521
● Broadcom BCM4360KLMG
● Hynix H5TC4G63AFR 4 Gb (512 MB) synchronous DDR3 SDRAM
AirPort Extreme A1521 Repairability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
● No proprietary fastener funny business over here. The Extreme uses Torx screws throughout the structure to keep its act together.
● Disassembly is pretty straightforward, and modular components are used throughout.
● No glue (except for a small dab used for the status LED) is found inside.
● The opening procedure requires a bit of prying that may slightly damage the case if the user isn't careful.
● You'll have to disassemble a good portion of the device in order to clean the fan.
● Some of the connectors are super-small and can be prone to breaking.
Take a look at a few photos below or hit the link for the full teardown.