Apple Acquires HopStop Online Transit Navigation App
Apple has agreed to acquire HopStop.com, an online transit navigation service, according to Bloomberg. The news comes just after a report from earlier today which said Apple had acquired Locationary, another company which would boost its maps offering.
HopStop describes itself as the only transit app you'll ever need. "Get detailed subway, bus, train, taxi, walking and biking directions, real-time transit information via "HopStop Live!", as well as official transit maps, nearby station search, and station-to-station schedules in over 600 cities throughout the US, Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand."
HopStop Live! lets you see what other HopStop users are saying, in real-time, about the stations, trains, lines and buses you use.
With HopStop Live! you can:
• Follow your favorite lines, stations or stops
• Report real-time delays and issues
• Contribute pictures of what you're seeing on buses and trains
• Share to Facebook and Twitter
• Get directions from your current location
• Get schedules for hundreds of regional rails, subways, buses, ferries, light rails, streetcars, trams, trolleys & more
• Map a location & see nearby subway & bus stops
• Estimate travel time & cost for a taxi & call cab companies
• See a list of all possible routes with Smart Route
• Get biking directions in NYC, DC, Chicago, & SF
You can download HopStop from the App Store for free.