The eighth grader attended Kennebunk Middle School in Portland, Maine. While in class she heard a pop and smoke began billowing from her pants, school principal Jeff Rodman told ABC affiliate WMTW-TV.
Two classmates rushed to the student’s aid, while another went outside to alert school staff and bring a fire blanket and extinguisher. As classmates were helping the girl out of her pants, the iPhone fell out of a pocket. The girl was taken to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford where she was treated for burns and later released.
There have been a few previous reports of iPhones catching fire; however, often these devices are being charged at the time of the event. Unsafe third party chargers are usually the cause leading Apple to start a counterfeit charger replacement program.
In this case it's still unclear what occurred, though an issue with the battery is likely to blame.
Read More [via Luis]