● 35% of all existing iPhone owners indicate they are likely to upgrade their device in the next six months.
● Those owning any iPhone prior to iPhone 4 have the highest likelihood of upgrading, at 46%.
● iPhone 4S represents the largest segment of iPhone owners at nearly 20 million, 40% of whom indicate they are ready to upgrade.
● iPhone 5C owners show the lowest likelihood of upgrading at 15%, which makes sense given that this model was only introduced to the market in late 2013 and was targeted to consumers at a lower price point.
● Interestingly, even though iPhone 5S owners have the latest and greatest version of the device, 24% of those owners – about 3.6 million in total – are already ready to upgrade.
comScore believes that iPhone 5s upgraders are the most unique as many of them are tech-savy users who want the latest and greatest from Apple. These upgraders are most likely to be a young adult male from an upper-income house, according to comScore's findings.
The U.S. market for smartphone screens 4.5-inches or larger has grown 108% over the last year, and Apple is finally looking to take a bite. With a huge market of eager iPhone owners ready to upgrade, and a new iPhone with an all new design and screen size just around the corner, this could be the biggest iPhone launch yet.