What's New In This Version:
Big new version number: 4.0
Big new features in it: Oh, lots. Almost too many to list. But here goes:
◆ Create new blogs from inside the app
Ever get an idea for a blog while you’re out on the town, or up in an aeroplane? Make it, name it, give it an avatar, give it a header image, title it, describe it, post your first post to it—all before you even return to the Earth.
◆ Make video posts using a video’s URL
Copy a URL from YouTube or Vimeo or another such site, slap it into the app, and you got yourself a video post. This is apparently your most-requested feature for the mobile app. Smart. We love it. Here you go.
◆ Submit to blogs that accept submissions
Situation: You’re deep-sea diving with your waterproof phone, snapping pics of fish and treasure chests and the sea god Neptune. Stuff that’s perfect for that submission-based SCUBA blog you follow. Now you can submit a post to it right from the briny deep.
◆ A widget for your widget collection
Witness today’s trending tags without even opening the app. Install it thusly: 1. From anywhere in your phone, swipe down from the top of your screen to open up your “Today” view. This is where all your widgets live. 2. Flick your way to the bottom, then tap the “Edit” button. 3. Find “Trending on Tumblr” in the list. There ya go.
◆ Filter searches by post type
Just looking for photos? We’ll just show you photos. Just looking for chats? Sure. You can do that, too.
◆ A heap of other niceties
• New icon. Feels good under your finger.
• Sticky search bar. Convenient for those heavy search sessions.
• Sticky avatars. Always, always know who made the post you’re currently reading. Never forget.
• Clean, fresh look for the iPad.
• GIFs load in a much more pleasing fashion. You’ll see.
• You can delete blogs from the app, which sounds like something only a troublemaker would need to do, but okay.
You can download Tumblr from the App Store for free.