The owner, a woman surnamed Tsang, plugged her 128GB iPhone 6 Plus in to charge at around 1am on Saturday, leaving it on the desk next to her bed. At around 8am she was awakened by a loud bang and saw the smartphone on fire.
Tsang put out the fire using a pillow and was not injured. The picture of the phone after the explosion shows the back cover and the protective case melted by the heat.
The iPhone was being charged using an official charging cable for the iPad which Apple lists as being compatible with the iPhone as well.
Lo Kok-kung from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University said the explosion could be due to a short circuit or overcharging.
“The auto power cut-off feature of the handset for charging could have been out of order, hence the battery was overcharged and exploded due to excessive heat,” Lo said.
We've heard numerous reports of iPhone's exploding over the years. Most recently, an iPhone 5C exploded in a man's pocket giving him second and third degree burns. However, most incidents are a result of using unofficial third party chargers.
Tsang intends to seek compensation from Apple.
Read More [via CultofMac]