Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Cocoa frameworks and Swift programming language make developing apps easier and more fun than ever before.
What's New In This Version:
Xcode 7 includes Swift 2 and SDKs for iOS 9, watchOS 2, and OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
Now you can go beyond the simulator to test your app on an iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch — for free. Simply enter your Apple ID into the Accounts preference pane, then attach a device to your Mac using a Lightning cable. You can use the same Apple ID you already use for iCloud, iTunes, or the App Store, or create a new one. Join the Apple Developer Program when you’re ready to distribute or submit your apps to the App Store.
New in Xcode 7:
• User interface testing uses accessibility to auto-generate tests for you and run them as part of a test suite
• Code coverage displays what parts of your code are covered (and not) by your test suite
• Interface Builder adds StackViews to simplify the construction of complex interfaces that use Auto Layout
• Game level editors add an animation design timeline with both 2D and 3D support
• Crash logs management adds support for OS X and app extensions
• Address sanitizer points out code that may crash at runtime even when you cannot reproduce yourself
• App thinning uploads all assets to the App Store so the store can then send an optimized app to your customers
• Support for watchOS 2 including project migration tool
New in Swift 2:
• Native error handling model adds a simple try / catch syntax that transparently wraps NSError
• Tests can now access both public and internal methods from external test processes
• Protocol extensions enable a natural chaining syntax for function calls
• Markdown syntax is supported in .swift file comments to add rich text in Quick Help
• Markdown comments in playgrounds render as beautiful rich text, perfect for curriculum documents
• Availability controls warn at compile time when using API that is too new for the minimum target OS
• SDKs for OS X, iOS, and watchOS have more natural interfaces when accessed from Swift
• New language syntax includes guard, defer, and repeat keywords
• Tool to convert source code to Swift 2 via menu: Edit > Convert > To Latest Swift Syntax
You can download Xcode from the App Store for free.