Mercedes-Benz customers will now be able to access Apple CarPlay on many MY16 vehicles starting with December 1st or January 8th production. Apple CarPlay is designed to allow the same clean, simple interface that users enjoy on their iPhone to be also shown on their vehicle’s display.
Apple CarPlay will be a completely different interface than the customary Mercedes-Benz infotainment. The customer will not be able to use the Mercedes-Benz headunit functions at the same time as CarPlay. For example, use of the Spotify app cannot be done simultaneously with COMAND Navigation.
CarPlay will also require a compatible iPhone to be plugged into a specific USB port on the vehicle.
Apple CarPlay will be operated using the central controller or touchpad (if equipped). When utilizing the CarPlay interface, a press of the voice control button on the steering wheel will activate Siri for voice commands.
For MY16 CLA, GLA, and B-Class there will be two different ways to order Apple CarPlay starting with December 1st production:
1. Stand-alone Package ($350)
- This will be called Code 868 Smartphone Integration Package
2. Part of a revised Multimedia Package (no cost enhancement to Multimedia Package) - As of December 1st production, Code 320 Multimedia Package will transition to Code 32C Multimedia Package with Smartphone Integration
For MY16 E-Class Coupe & Cabriolet, CLS, GLE, and GLE Coupe, Apple CarPlay will be automatically included with the applicable package that includes COMAND Navigation. On the appropriate production start date for each model line, Code 868 Smartphone Integration Package will automatically be included for no additional cost only i.c.w. COMAND Navigation. Below is the packaging breakdown:
- E400 & E550 Coupe | P01 – Premium 1 Package ($3,880) | 12/1/15
- E400 Cabriolet | P01 – Premium 1 Package ($4,080) | 12/1/15
- E550 Cabriolet | P01 – Premium 1 Package ($3,880) | 12/1/15
- CLS400 | P02 – Premium 2 Package ($3,650) | 12/1/15
- CLS550 / CLS63 S | COMAND Standard ($0) | 12/1/15
- GLE300d & GLE350 | P01 – Premium 1 Package ($3,830) | 1/8/16
- GLE400, GLE450, GLE63, GLE63 S | COMAND Standard ($0) | 1/8/16
Here's a breakdown of which vehicle models will get CarPlay.
Mercedes-Benz 2016 U.S. CarPlay Vehicles
December 1, 2015 or Later
- 2016 B-Class
- 2016 CLA
- 2016 CLS400
- 2016 CLS550
- 2016 CLS63 S
- 2016 E400 Coupe
- 2016 E550 Coupe
- 2016 E400 Cabriolet
- 2016 E550 Cabriolet
- 2016 GLA
January 8, 2016 or Later
- 2016 GLE300d
- 2016 GLE350
- 2016 GLE400
- 2016 GLE450
- 2016 GLE63
- 2016 GLE63 S
Hit the link below for more details...
Read More [via MacRumors]