Seeing AI is a free app that narrates the world around you. Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people, text, and objects.
“I really do think this app will be a game changer for many as it’s just simple to use,” said Jenine Stanley, who is legally blind and reviews apps and technology for Main Menu, the American Council of the Blind’s tech radio show.
Optimized for use with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognize:
• Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
• Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
• Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available.
• People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
• Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
• Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
Available in the U.S., Canada, India, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore. Coming soon to more countries.
The app is supported on the iPhone 5C, 5S and later; however, you'll see the best performance with iPhone 6S and later models.
You can download Seeing AI from the App Store for free.