Today, in the US, we’re rolling out a preview of Messenger Kids, a new app that makes it easier for kids to safely video chat and message with family and friends when they can’t be together in person. After talking to thousands of parents, associations like National PTA, and parenting experts in the US, we found that there’s a need for a messaging app that lets kids connect with people they love but also has the level of control parents want.
To give kids and parents a fun, safer solution, we built Messenger Kids, a standalone app that lives on kids’ tablets or smartphones but can be controlled from a parent’s Facebook account. Whether it’s using video chat to talk to grandparents, staying in touch with cousins who live far away, or sending mom a decorated photo while she’s working late to say hi, Messenger Kids opens up a new world of online communication to families. This preview is available on the App Store for iPad, iPod touch and iPhone.
Parents Have More Control
• Parents fully control the contact list making it a safer, more controlled environment of just close friends and family.
• Messages don't disappear and can't be hidden in case parents would like to check in.
• There are no ads or in-app purchases, and the app is free to download.
Kids Have More Fun
• Kid-appropriate stickers, GIFs, frames and emojis help kids creatively express themselves.
• One-on-one or group video calls come to life with fun, interactive masks.
• The feature-filled camera lets kids create videos and decorate photos to share with loved ones.
It's Easy to Use
• Works on iPad, iPod touch and iPhone on the go or just using a Wi-Fi connection. No phone number is needed.
• Parents and approved grown-ups can connect from their Messenger app wherever it's installed.
• Creating a Messenger Kids account for a child does not create a Facebook account for them.
• Parents and guardians use their own Facebook accounts to authorize their kids' Messenger Kids accounts.
• Parents control their child’s contact list and can remove contacts at any time.
• Kids have the option to report or block contacts and report inappropriate content. If a child submits a report, their parent or guardian will be notified.
• We're always working to improve Messenger Kids. If you'd like to share any feedback with us or for more information, visit messengerkids.com.
You can download Messenger Kids from the App Store for free.