Intel to be Exclusive Supplier of LTE Modems for Apple's New iPhones?

Intel to be Exclusive Supplier of LTE Modems for Apple's New iPhones?

Posted by · 5194 views · Translate
Apple will likely drop Qualcomm as a supplier and only use Intel LTE modems for its next generation iPhones, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Previously, Kuo expected Intel to supply 70% of modems with Qualcomm providing the remaining 30%; however, in a new investor note, the analyst suggests that may no longer be the case.

We expect Intel to be the exclusive supplier of baseband chip for 2H18 new iPhone models, while Qualcomm may not have a share of the orders at all.

There are multiple reasons that Apple might decide to go with Intel as its sole supplier. First, its latest XMM 7560 modem supports both GSM and CDMA, meaning that Apple would not need multiple models for different carriers. Second, the move would put pressure on Qualcomm and help Apple in its heated legal battle with the company over licensing and patent infringement.

Apple typically likes to diversify its suppliers and could give back orders to Qualcomm in exchange for more favorable licensing terms. Qualcomm is expected to aggressively pursue orders from Chinese smartphone makers to offset the lost orders.

Finally, Kuo predicts that an upgraded antenna and the 4x4 MIMO technology in the Intel XMM 7560 modem will boost LTE speeds in the next generation iPhones.

Please follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates.

Read More


Intel to be Exclusive Supplier of LTE Modems for Apple's New iPhones?
Chinky Chink - February 6, 2018 at 2:11am
OH GOD NO!
RWR - February 5, 2018 at 6:39pm
So stupid. iPhones support both GSM and CDMA. It's called Verizon and sprint models. So this isn't the reason why going to just Intel would better and it is not the reason why they make different models.
Recent