In a new note to investors, relayed by Fortune, Huberty discusses the results of an AlphaWise poll that surveyed 2,000 Chinese mobile phone owners.
Here are some of the highlights...
Consumers' interest in iPhone remains steady if Apple continues its high-end strategy
● 23% of potential smartphone buyers surveyed chose the iPhone, slightly above our previous survey in January 2013 (19%).
● Intended repurchase rate for iPhone is higher than other smartphones.
iPhone 5C will drive incremental volume growth
● Chinese consumers consider US$486 (or RMB 4,000) to be an acceptable price range for the lower-priced iPhone, 22% higher than where we think Apple will price it.
● In contrast, the acceptable price ranges for Samsung S4 Mini and HTC One Mini were lower than the expected price.
A partnership with China Mobile will increase Apple's smartphone share in China
● 29% of potential smartphone buyers would purchase the iPhone if it were compatible with China Mobile's 3G and 4G networks.
Therefore, the iPhone 5C has the potential to increase Apple's market share in China by 13.3% and decrease Samsung's by 6.7%. Add to that a deal with China Mobile which would raise market share by an estimated 4.6% and Apple comes out on top.
Check out the charts below for more information.