Garmin Launches New Viago Turn-By-Turn Navigation App for iPhone
Garmin has launched víago, a new navigation app for iPhone. The app comes with access to off-board maps for many regions around the world and navigation features such as current speed and speed limit display, lane assist, weather information, in-map traffic display, and photo-realistic junction views. Users can upgrade their experience with premium add-ons like downloadable maps (“Maps to Go”) that don’t require a data connection to navigate, real-time traffic with automatic rerouting, urban navigation with public transportation, 3D terrain view, and more.
Víago is the first smartphone navigation app that features Garmin Real Directions (in app purchase), giving spoken turn-by-turn directions just like a friend would by using recognizable landmarks, buildings, stop signs and traffic lights.
“Garmin víago offers the best navigation technology available from Garmin, helping drivers to reduce stress and save time on the road,” said Joern Watzke, vice president world-wide mobile business at Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH. ”The comprehensive feature set goes far beyond simple turn-by-turn directions and assists drivers like no other navigation app. Premium in app purchase options allow users to fully customize their navigation experience and only choose the features they want.“
Navigate with features you won’t find in free apps: víago not only provides turn-by-turn navigation, it also provides advanced features such as lane assist that tells you which lane you want to be in for your next turn. There are also photoReal junction views that provide a realistic look at interchanges ahead. Now you can drive with great confidence when approaching complex situations on unfamiliar roads.
Browse the map and search for addresses and POIs around the globe. Once you’ve found a destination within your region, navigate right to it. Online maps use the latest map data available and don’t take up storage space on your device.
- International map browsing: search addresses and POIs anywhere in the world
- Turn-by-turn navigation within your region
- Lane assist with photoReal junction views*
- Displays current street, speed and speed limit*
- Customize your experience with optional upgrades
- Downloadable Maps to Go allow you to navigate without a data connection and avoid roaming fees
- Choose full or regional coverage maps
- Traffic Live provides real-time traffic information with automatic rerouting
- Directions with spoken street names and 3-D building representations help you with your orientation
- Garmin Real Directions™ guide using landmarks, significant buildings and traffic lights, such as, “Turn left after the clock tower”
- Mobile Alert Live provides alerts for mobile speed cameras as reported by fellow drivers (not permitted in all countries)
- Safety Kit helps you avoid trouble with speed and safety camera warnings (not permitted in all countries), active lane guidance and alternative routes
- Panorama View 3-D shows you the surrounding terrain, including mountains, hills and valleys
- Urban Guidance helps you navigate major cities on foot or by using public transportation
- Bonus Package: A Free option that lets you customize the look of your app with various map themes and vehicle icons
Once the app is installed, the map material for your entire region (Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East, or Russia) can be used online for navigation.
With Maps to Go you can navigate without an Internet connection and add the following regions to the app: Europe, North America, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand, Middle East, Russia
After the app has been installed for the first time, you will have access automatically to the latest maps available from the market leader HERE maps (formerly Navteq).
You can purchase Garmin víago from the App Store for $0.99.