iPhone Explodes in Man's Pocket Giving Him Second and Third Degree Burns [Video]

iPhone Explodes in Man's Pocket Giving Him Second and Third Degree Burns [Video]

Posted by · 16946 views · Translate
An iPhone reportedly exploded in a Long Island man's pocket giving him second and third degree burns and hospitalizing him in a burn unit for more than a week, reports ABC7.

Erik Johnson, the iPhone owner says, "My iPhone blew up. And everybody's answer is 'What?'" The phone was in his pocket on Valentine's Day when it spontaneously exploded, just moments after he arrived at his cousin's wake.

"I had the phone in my pocket, simple little gesture, bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop. Sssssh smoke coming out," Johnson said. "And just like an instant burn, my leg just starts going on fire, try to get it out, can't get it out. I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn't get into it and I had to rip my pants off and throw the pants to the side. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning."

With burns on his inner thigh, he spent 10 days in the burn unit before finally getting back home Tuesday, says ABC7. A nurse visits twice a day to change his bandage.

Johnson had a metal case on his iPhone 5c which is now warped and stuck to the phone. There have been times in the past where iPhones have exploded; however, those usually involved third party chargers. Johnson said he was using an Apple cable for his iPhone and hired Mike Della as his lawyer.

"Obviously Apple has to take a closer look at what they're putting out in the stream of commerce before they go out and sell these items that could potentially be this dangerous," Della said.

"I just want my leg back to what it was you know?" Johnson said.

Apple told Eyewitness News that it's looking into the case.

Take a look at the video below for more details...

Read More [via DailyMail]




iPhone Explodes in Man's Pocket Giving Him Second and Third Degree Burns [Video]

iPhone Explodes in Man's Pocket Giving Him Second and Third Degree Burns [Video]
casual - March 3, 2015 at 4:07pm
seems strange that the case doesn't have a mark on it... no char or discoloration from the heat... not burnt in the slightest.
mshonhall - March 2, 2015 at 8:07pm
""Obviously Apple has to take a closer look at what they're putting out in the stream of commerce before they go out and sell these items that could potentially be this dangerous," Della said." By this point, Apple has probably sold over 100 million iPhone 6 & 6 Pluses since last Sept. I'd say they have a pretty good track record for "taking a closer look" at what they're selling to the "stream of commerce." No doubt, he'll get a hefty check coming his way. But, the lawyerese spin is just maddening.
Andrewb01 - March 1, 2015 at 10:34pm
That case is not metal. It is a Spigen Tough Armor, TPC rubber and plastic back plate. Plus that case is for iPhone 5/5S, the 5C version doesn't have the circle for the Apple Logo. Likely he was using a cheap chinese wall adapter or had an aftermarket battery replacement.
clown - March 1, 2015 at 3:09pm
No fan , but a metal case. = hot
Captain Japan - March 1, 2015 at 11:59am
#obamacare
21 More Comments
Recent