“At Nest, we always wanted to build more than a thermostat,” said Tony Fadell, Nest chief executive officer. “Our vision was to create a thoughtful home – a home that takes care of itself and the people in it. Five years later, all the pieces are in place. We’ve built a portfolio of best-in-class products that each stand on their own while doing more together. More than 9,000 developer partners are using the Works with Nest developer program to help seamlessly integrate everything from washers and dryers to cars with our thermostat, smoke alarm and camera. And we’re working with energy and insurance partners to bring more value to our shared customers. Nest products are used in 190+ countries, across multiple platforms, and available wherever people shop. The result? Energy saved, lives spared, and countless memories recorded and shared.”
The all-new Nest Cam builds on the Dropcam features customers love, adding better video quality and a new design to make it even easier to keep an eye on your home. Nest Cam will be available for the first time in Europe, specifically in Belgium, France, Ireland, Netherlands and the U.K.
• New design - The new stand’s magnetic base can stick to metal, be mounted to the wall or screwed onto a universal tripod. It can twist around, bend at an angle, or be mounted upside down. The stand incorporates a rare-earth magnet and ¼ inch, 20-screw mount, so you can securely place it in even more locations. Its body design provides three degrees of freedom so customers can capture the view they want.
• Video quality - Nest Cam delivers crisp 1080p HD over Wi-Fi so customers can see the finest details across the room.
• Secure streaming - Stream and store video content with a unique 2048-bit RSA key and securely transmit using a 128-bit SSL connection.
• Improved Night Vision - Eight high-powered infrared LEDs and new algorithms improve Night Vision and motion detection. Other home cameras give you a spotlight view at night, but Nest Cam lets you see the entire room. And because Nest Cam’s sensors know the difference between a flashlight and sunlight, Night Vision won’t get confused and switch to day mode every time a bright light passes in front of the camera. That can be hugely helpful if an intruder turns on a flash light, or if headlights flash across your window.
• Nest Aware with Video History - Customers can subscribe for an additional monthly fee to gain access to:
• Video History - Scroll through 10 or 30 days of content depending on your subscription choice so you have extra time to see what happened and save the stuff you want to remember.
• Alert Summary - If something happens, you don’t have to dig through hours of video to find it. Nest Aware with Video History highlights the moments when there is motion or sound and shows you what happened.
• Clips & Timelapses - Make, save and share up to three hours of clips.
• Activity Zones - Create custom Activity Zones around areas of interest - such as a door - so you can be alerted of any activity in a specific area.
• Advanced motion sensing - Nest Cam uses the power of the cloud to provide more accurate alerts and detect areas where common false alarms occur, like ceilings.
• Nest is piloting the ability for YouTube creators to stream directly to YouTube Live from Nest Cam, giving viewers a behind-the-scenes look at their favorite personalities
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), 60 percent of fire deaths in the U.S. happen when there’s no smoke alarm or the smoke alarm failed to operate. The second generation Nest Protect has new features to help people know the alarm is working and running safely, and it now has up to a ten- year product lifetime. Like the first generation Nest Protect, it does more than just sound an alarm. It speaks to you, telling you what and where the problem is.
• New design - The second generation Nest Protect is 11 percent smaller and sits more flush against the ceiling or wall. It has a stainless steel screen with tiny hexagonal holes designed to let in smoke for assessment while keeping everything else out. And the light ring now shines even brighter for a better Pathlight.
• Split-Spectrum Sensor - Inside the new smoke chamber, Nest Protect uses two wavelengths of light to look for both fast- and slow-burning fires.
• App Silence - Nest Protect warns you of danger, but if everything’s under control, you might not need that sound anymore. Now you can hush false alarms from your phone or tablet using the new Nest app.
• Up to 10-year product lifetime - Nest Protect’s updated sensors provide customers with a new, longer product lifetime of up to 10 years before the device needs to be replaced.
• Safety Checkup - The NFPA recommends you test your alarms once a month. Now, you can test the sensors, power, Wi-Fi connection, horn and speaker on all your alarms, right from your phone.
• Sound Check - Once per month, Nest Protect automatically tests the speaker and horn - quietly and quickly - using a built-in microphone.
• Easier installation - A redesigned backplate helps get Nest Protect level when placing it on your ceiling or wall, and an easy-to-open battery door makes battery replacement easier than ever. Nest Protect also includes Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to improve pairing during setup.
New feature for both first and second generation Nest Protects:
• Whole Home Nightly Promise - Nightly Promise shows you Nest Protect’s sensors and batteries are working with a quick green glow after you turn off the lights, or a yellow glow if Nest Protect needs attention. Now, instead of only indicating the status level of the Nest Protect in the room you’re in, Nightly Promise will indicate the status of all Nest Protects throughout the home so you can sleep safe and sound.
NEST LEARNING THERMOSTAT SOFTWARE 4.5
The Nest Learning Thermostat is adding new features to both first and second generation products, and also has a new integration with Nest Protect to help keep Nest customers safer and more comfortable.
• Safety Temperature Alerts - Nest now sends a message to your phone if your home gets too hot or too cold. So you’ll get a notification if your pipes could freeze or a pet could overheat. When the temperature returns to normal, Nest will let you know.
• Nest Protect Emergency Alerts - If you have a Nest Protect at home, you can now see smoke and CO alerts right on your thermostat. The more places you see an alarm, the more chances you have of catching a problem early.
• Nest Protect Emergency Shutoff - Some heating systems can be a source of CO leaks. Others can make a fire worse by spreading smoke throughout your home. Now your Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect can work together to turn off your forced air heating/cooling system in a smoke or CO emergency.
• Improved multi-zone homes - Control up to 20 thermostats, per home, from within the app. The thermostats will work together to save energy and coordinate Auto-Away.
NEST APP 5.0
For the first time you can control all of your Nest products from a single app. The fifth generation Nest app for your phone, tablet and computer has a new look and added features that make it easier to control all your Nest products, and your existing Dropcams. Customers can use the Nest app in any browser and on both Android or iOS devices (iOS 8.0+, Android 4.0+).
• Home Screen - Each Nest Thermostat, Nest Cam or Dropcam has its own spot, while all your Nest Protects roll up into one icon. You can also see live video previews of all your Nest Cams on the home screen so you can get a quick glance of different rooms.
• Nest Learning Thermostat - It’s now easier to get to and use popular thermostat functions like Energy History, Heat/Cool mode and schedule.
• Nest Protect - Provides access to Safety Checkup, which lets you test all your alarms from the app, and App Silence lets you hush false alarms from your phone.
Nest Cam and Dropcam
• Nest app offers new enhanced features for phones, including zoom and enhance, which adjusts to give you a sharper view.
• Talk and Listen is now easier to use. Just hold down the icon and start talking, just like a walkie-talkie.
• If you have a subscription to Nest Aware with Video History: The Nest app provides a summary of captured events, making it easy to spot moments in your Video History when your camera sensed motion or sound. You can easily skip among events or jump 30 seconds at a time.
• Dropcam Pro and Dropcam HD can now be accessed from within the Nest app.
• If you have a Nest Cam and Nest Protect in the same room, you’ll see a camera button when you get a smoke or CO alert on your phone. Tap the button and you’ll immediately be taken to a live view of your home, so you can see what’s going on. Nest Cam will also record a clip of what happened, even if you don’t subscribe to Nest Aware with Video History.
PRICING & AVAILABILITY
• Nest Cam is available for purchase today with a suggested retail price of $199. It will begin shipping this month.
• Nest Aware with Video History can be purchased as a 10-day or 30-day subscription for $10 or $30 per month, respectively.
• Nest Protect is available for purchase today for a suggested retail price of $99. It will begin shipping next month.
• Nest app 5.0 is available now in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store.
• Nest Learning Thermostat software 4.5 will begin rolling out today and will take up to two weeks to reach all Nest customers.
Take a look at the videos below for more details...