In one of the least Apple-y moves in history, Apple released the Smart Battery Case, and it's ugly. Rumors about this unexpected accessory are flying thick and fast, let's open this pack up to see how it works.
● Battery case's model number: A1585
● With some clever ducting, Apple turned the downward-facing speaker into a forward-facing speaker.
● The microphone also faces forward, and has the same extra grille over it as the speaker port.
● 7.13 Whr (1877 mAh at 3.8 V) battery
Smart Battery Repairability: 2 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair):
● Non-proprietary T3 Torx screws make repairs more accessible, but are covered by strongly-adhered microfiber liner.
● Battery replacement is possible, but will likely destroy the microfiber liner.
● The only possible repair—replacing the battery—is made difficult by very strong adhesive.
● No other repairs are possible without destroying the device.
Take a look at some photos below or hit the link for the full teardown.