Grimsley pushed the phone off the bed before it could ignite the blankets, then pushed it off the carpet onto a hard surface and waited out the fire. "The whole apartment could have burned down," said Grimsley.
Apple told him they'd replace the device but Grimsley was disappointed by the response. "I thought they'd be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged," he said.
Grimsley accepted the new phone but is still nervous about using it. "I'm kind of nervous about plugging it in and leaving it on the bed or anywhere it could catch fire. It could happen again."
Apple didn't respond to Fox's request for comment.