It’s smarter, faster and more powerful than ever. It comes with new features like picture-in-picture and Autofill to help you navigate tasks seamlessly. Plus, it’s got stronger security protections and speed improvements that keep you safe and moving at lightspeed. When you’re on your next adventure, Android Oreo is the superhero to have by your side (or in your pocket!).
● 2x faster:: Get started on your favorite tasks more quickly with 2x the boot speed when powering up (boot time as measured on Google Pixel)
● Background limits: Android Oreo helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, it's the super power you can't even see.
● Autofill: With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
● Picture-in-Picture: Allows you to see two apps at once, it's like having super strength and laser vision.
● Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what's new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
● Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
● Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven't installed yet!
● Battery Life: Whether you're talking, playing, working or streaming, you can feel confident about keeping your battery strong and full of life.
● Emoji: Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
● Accessibility button: Allows you to quickly access from the navigation bar accessibility features, like magnification, and functionality within accessibility services, like Select to Speak.
● Accessibility volume: Accessibility services can optimize the audio experience for users with disabilities.
● Adaptive icons: Developers can now provide a full-bleed square shaped icon and OEMs will mask the icon to ensure intra-device consistency.
● Ambient screen: Highlights the incoming notification with larger font, highlighted app name and immediate access to actions.
● Background execution limits: More control over how apps run in the background for better overall system performance.
● Background location limits: Limits the frequency of location updates in the background for better overall system health.
● Deep color: Enables applications to render richer visual content with more vibrant colors and subtler gradients. Supports full color management which allows applications to render images in the format and quality they were intended.
● Downloadable fonts: Applications no longer need to bundle custom fonts, which helps reduce their size.
● Install unknown apps: Hostile downloader apps can't operate without permission; users now permit the installation of APKs per-source.
● Integrated printing support: Compatible with all Mopria-certified printers, which make up 97% of printers sold worldwide.
● Linkable files: API that allows you to share files across the Internet via web links.
Native C/C++ API for high-performance audio
API function for high-performance audio including Native C/C++ audio API.
● Notification categories: More granular and consistent control over which notifications can appear and how intrusive they are.
● Notification snoozing: Lets users hide notifications for a period of time, similar to Inbox snoozing.
● Project Treble: The biggest change to the foundations of Android to date: a modular architecture that makes it easier and faster for hardware makers to deliver Android updates.
● TextView autosizing: Developers can now let the size of their text expand or contract automatically based on the size and characteristics of the TextView, making it much easier to optimize the text size on different screens or with dynamic content.
● Tooltips: Support for tooltips (small popup windows with descriptive text) for views and menu items.
● Wi-Fi Assistant: Auto-connects you to high quality open WiFi and secures your connection with a VPN back to Google.
You can learn more about Android 8.0 Oreo at the link below.