The software update will also provide a way for users to see the health of their battery. These changes will first arrive in a developer beta next month.
First in a developer release that happens next month, we're going to give people the visibility of the health of their battery. So it's very, very transparent. This hasn't been done before but we've thought through this whole thing and learned everything we can learn from it.
So we want to do that, and in the situation, and we will tell someone we're slightly reducing or we're reducing your performance by some amount in order to not have an unexpected restart. And if you don't want it, you can turn it off. Now we don't recommend it because we think people's iPhones are really important to them, and you never can tell when something is so urgent. Our actions were all in service of the user. I can't stress that enough.
Unfortunately, Cook was not asked why other smartphone manufacturers do not need to slow down their devices as their batteries age or why the iPhone 6/6s wasn't engineered with the headroom necessary to prevent unexpected shutdowns over the 500 cycles that their batteries are rated for. Providing a toggle to turn off throttling isn't much use to users who are experiencing unexpected shutdowns way too early in the life of their device or battery.
We've also posted links to replacement batteries for each iPhone below for those who want the performance boost of a new battery but can't have Apple perform the replacement for whatever reason (timing, jailbreak, location, etc).
iPhone Battery Replacements:
● iPhone 4G Battery Replacement - $9.49
● iPhone 4S Battery Replacement - $9.49
● iPhone 5 Battery Replacement - $11.99
● iPhone 5c Battery Replacement - $9.99
● iPhone 5s Battery Replacement - $11.99
● iPhone 6 Battery Replacement - $11.49
● iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacement - $13.49
● iPhone 6s Battery Replacement - $12.49
● iPhone 6s Plus Battery Replacement - $13.49
● iPhone 7 Battery Replacement - $12.49
● iPhone 7 Plus Battery Replacement - $19.49
● iPhone SE Battery Replacement - $14.49
● iPhone 8 Replacement Battery - $29.99
● iPhone 8 Plus Replacement Battery - $29.99
● iPhone X Replacement Battery - $54.49
Please follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates.