Special Version of iTunes to Unbrick 3G iPhones Leaked
A special version of iTunes required by cellular carriers to unbrick 3G iPhones has been leaked online.
Bricked: Default state of the iPhone, only emergency calls allowed.
Unbrick: Enabling the phone for services.
The entire setup process for installing the software was leaked onto iPhoneinCanada.ca.
Requirement 1) Download/Install 'Store only version' of iTunes
* In order to unbrick the iPhone in store (which is a requirement of the iPhone Sales Process), you must have iTunes version 7.6.3b4. Installed on your computer. This version has a special 'Activation Only Mode' that must be enabled and used in store.
* The iTunes version that is currently available on the Apple website is version 7.6.2. This version does NOT have the activation only mode and as such please action the following steps to complete the installation of version 7.6.3b4:
1) Download and install 7.6.3b4 from the following link. Do not attempt to use any other version of iTunes as V7.6.3b4 is a specific activation only module designed for in-store use.
2) When you enter the link above you will be asked if you want to 'open' or 'save' the file. Select 'Open'. The file is 102mb and may take 5 to 15 minutes to download, depending on your connection speed.
3) Once downloaded you will see a window containing two files. One file is for a Mac and the other is for Windows. Please double-click the Windows.exe file.
4) A small 'warning' window will pop-up that advises you to extract all files Please do so.
5) An 'Extraction Wizard' will start. Click 'Next'.
6) You will be asked where you want the files to be extracted to. The default location (a temporary file) is ok, so select 'next'. You will then be advised that the extraction has finished. Click 'Finish'.
7) A new window will appear with the extracted files in (both Mac and Windows). Double click on the Windows.exe file. You may be presented with a Windows security warning. If so, select 'Run' as the files are safe. There may be a delay before the next step starts.
8) Pop-up windows and instructions will guide you through the rest of the installation process. You must close MS Outlook (if it's open) before completing the installation.
9) During the installation process you will be asked if you would like an iTunes shortcut on your desktop Please do so.
10) You may be asked to restart your computer Please do so if asked.
11) Once you have restarted you will see an iTunes shortcut on your desktop.
12) The download process is complete you must now follow the following steps to complete the process.
* You MUST now enable the 'Activation only Module' within iTunes.
13) Create a shortcut on your desktop by right clicking on a blank space on your desktop and selecting 'new' and then 'shortcut'.
14) A 'Create a shortcut' wizard window will appear. In the box within the window marked 'Type the location of the item', please type or copy and paste the following bolded text in this EXACT format.
15) Please ensure you use the whole of this text with all punctuation/grammar exactly as specified:
"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /StoreActivationMode 1
16) Click 'Next'. You will be asked to enter a name for the shortcut. use:
iTunes Activation Module
17) Click 'Finish'. You will now see a new iTunes shortcut on your desktop with this name.
18) This shortcut is the Activation Module and should be used to unbrick the iPhone. When you first start this version of iTunes there will be a terms and conditions agreement that you will need to "accept' in order to proceed.
Note: Unbricking the iPhone should only be completed after activating the iPhone on Sales Central. Full instructions on how and when to activate and unbrick will be provided in a training job aid on fast track and sales central. You will be informed when this Job Aid is available.
Note: As of July 11 2008, an updated version of iTunes (7.7) will be publicly available from www.apple.ca. It will have the activation only mode built in (like 7.6.3b4) so you will not need to use unique Weblinks to download it. As it is a publicly available version of iTunes it still needs to be configured for store use. Therefore you MUST 'enable' version 7.7 in the same way as you did for version 7.6.3b4 that is detailed above.
1) To update your current version (7.6.3b4) to V7.7 to benefit from software updates; Open iTunes, select 'help' and 'check for updates' or go to www.apple.ca and download iTunes from the 'downloads' section. You do not have to uninstall previous versions first.
2) You MUST still enable the activation only mode, using the shortcut creation method above.