Google vs. Siri: A 1600 Question Comparison
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster asked an iPhone 1,600 questions, 800 on the busy streets of Minneapolis, 800 in a quiet room, in order to compare the performance of Google vs. Siri, reports FORTUNE.
Analyzing the results, Munster estimated that Siri is more than two years behind Google giving it a grade D compared to B+ for Google.
Notably, Siri uses Google to answer 60% of its queries. The rest of the answers are divided as follows: 20% of from Yelp, 14% from WolframAlpha, 4% from Yahoo and 2% from Wikipedia.
"Breaking down Siri's reliance further," Munster writes, "Google provides 100% of navigation results, 61% of information results, 48% of commerce results and 42% of local results. Among other result aggregators, Yelp provided the most local results (51%) and commerce results (51%), while WolframAlpha provided 34% of information results."
● Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)
● Google replies accurately 86% of the time
● Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room
● Siri answers accurately 62% of the time on the street and 68% in a quiet room.
COMMON SIRI MISTAKES:
● What team does Peyton Manning play for? Responded with the answer to the previous query. This was the most common error.
● Where is Elvis buried? Responded I can't answer that for you. It thought the persons name was Elvis Buried.
● Where am I? Pin dropped in the wrong place.
● When did the movie Cinderella come out? Responded with a movie theater search on Yelp.
● How do I get from Boston to New York? Responded I can only give directions from your current location. I cant give you directions to a place you are not in.
● What spices are in Lasagna? Responded with a Yelp search with lasagna on the menu.
● When is the next Haley's comment? Responded "You have no meetings matching Haley's"
● I want to go to Lake Superior? Responded with directions to the company Lake Superior X-Ray.