Thirteen year old Abby Zuis of Farmington says she felt "this really weird, burning sensation" on her thumb" while holding her Galaxy Note 7 on Friday afternoon. She quickly threw it on the floor after seeing smoking coming from the device.
Zuis suffered a minor burn to her thumb: “It felt like pins and needles except a lot more intense,” she said. The phone has significant smoke damage, burn marks, and the protective cover was melted.
Her father, Andrew, says the phone is a replacement for the Galaxy Note 7 that was recalled last month. He provided Eyewitness News with receipts that show the device was purchased in August and replaced on September 21st.
Notably, this isn't the first replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to catch fire. Another one went up in smoke on a Southwest plane a couple days ago. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is conducting its own “priority” investigation into both incidents.
Samsung says, "We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with the Zuis family to ensure we are doing everything we can for them and their daughter."
Please follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates.