GeoHot Releases iPhone 3GS Jailbreak

GeoHot Releases iPhone 3GS Jailbreak

Posted July 3, 2009 at 11:25am by iClarified · 42 comments · Add Comment
LOST - July 5, 2009 at 3:53am
do you have to activate the iphone to jailbreak it? i dont have a AT&T account. I tried running purplera1n and still its on activate screen ...help so lost
Zeridos - July 4, 2009 at 9:42am
There is a new version of PurpleRa1n (compatible even with windows 7 64bit). http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/ Bye
manny3gs - July 3, 2009 at 6:30pm
This Jb Should Only Be Used If You Want To Unlock. Most Apps Dont Work Like Winterboard And Others. I Say Get It If You Want To Unlock Now. If Not Then Wait For A Dev Team JB.
shez - July 3, 2009 at 3:51pm
I would like to know if I use PurpleRa1n to jailbreak my 3GS and unlock it with ultrasn0w, when the dev-team releases their version of the jailbreak will I be able to restore through itunes, my 3GS and jailbreak it using the dev-team's own?
'DNA' - July 4, 2009 at 12:49am
As long as it is released before the 3.1 Firmware. Unless you have your ECID/iBSS/iBEC, then your fine. Also there is an upgrade in cydia to fix purplera1n coming soon.
brikz - July 4, 2009 at 3:47pm
If i don't have my ECID yet how can i get it? You can't put the info on Purplera1n anyomore bc now it is the program and no spot to put my number into. What do i do?
Gurkha - July 3, 2009 at 2:51pm
I read that no winterboard and no sbs settings, sorry but that's a deal breaker for me. If this is as buggy/non-functional as others post, why a public release? IMO should have been a private beta. Keep on it, thanks in advance
steve anderson - July 3, 2009 at 3:02pm
a deal breaker you mad what about all appstore apps for free now drag and drop apps no nore buying think about it
Gurkha - July 3, 2009 at 3:05pm
I jailbreak for the apps that apple doese'nt approve or modify the OS, ie sbs settings and a few things from Rock Your Phone [intelliscreen], not to steal apps. Start stealing apps and apple is gonna go from 0-90 in killing jailbreak options.
steve anderson - July 3, 2009 at 6:01pm
you want to wake up people arnt pissing on for winterboard there after free games that why over 90 % want jailbreak for thats why dev team etc bust a gut for so we can have free games
wiga - July 3, 2009 at 7:43pm
Sb settings works mine does, 3gs 32gb. No winterboard though, but u can SSH icons, I use it for 5 icons and 5 column springboards, i love how it looks with 25 icons on the first screen
Gurkha - July 4, 2009 at 9:17am
Alright so I broke down and did it, seeing as I already got the eicd ibss files already, and it took first try out. So far all Rock Your Phone apps work, categories works, SBS settings works, backgrounder works and bite SMS, installed pdaNET, just haven't tried yet.
'DNA' - July 3, 2009 at 1:28pm
This was not made by the iPhone Dev Team it was made and released by GEOHOT it is not supported by the Dev Team, the same goes for ultrasn0w it is not supported on the 3GS at this time. Please remember this is a beta! Also Winterboard does not work! There are missing kernel patches, And the vm_map which means no vm_mem. In other words, it's don't bitch if you have problems.
Nino - July 3, 2009 at 1:13pm
Does the jailbreak wipe the device? I'm away from home and the minute and don't have my iTunes laptop, if the jailbreak retains the files then I'll borrow a computer if not I'll have to wait a bit longer!!
Gurkha - July 3, 2009 at 3:19pm
So I decided to do it even though a bunch of apps I use aren't compatible yet. And no, it does not wipe the phone at all. I use a Mac and I hooked up to a friends PC and worked fine.
Macslut - July 3, 2009 at 1:13pm
So at this point, the Dev Team might a well release their jailbreak tools because the exploit is out there and Apple now has access to it. Tonight would be a really good time to release the jailbreak...with the whole Independence Day and fireworks to celebrate tomorrow! I know the world is involved with the iPhone, but here in the US, it would be a good day, and on behalf of our country, I'll extend an invite to the world...come on over, we can go out on my boat, watch fireworks and compare Winterboard themes on our 3GS...I have an animated one that I made myself that ran too slow on the 3G...
'DNA' - July 3, 2009 at 1:21pm
It's not ready. It will be polished and tested before it's release unlike GeoHot's BETA which has plenty of issues. Winterboard and many other apps will not work because of the missing vm_map/vm_mem and missing sigs. Plus there are people on vacation for the holiday. July 4th
Macslut - July 3, 2009 at 2:25pm
Oh...I thought they were holding the release until after 3.1 came out. I didn't realize there were other issues involved. As for the July 4th...I seem to recall that the Dev Team usually does release on Friday nights and has on other holiday weekends (I could be wrong). Anyway, I have total respect for the Dev Team and their amazing work. If they say it's not ready for whatever reasons, I trust them...heck I worship them!
csalinastx - July 3, 2009 at 12:59pm
I had problems getting this to work from normal mode. It would not come out of recovery mode until I closed the purplera1n program and reopened it this click on make it rain again. At that point the purplera1n picture would come up but get stuck. After 10 mins I forced the phone to reboot and come back to normal. At this point I put the phone into recovery mode manually by turning the phone off then hold home and plug in the sync cable. Then I ran the purplera1n app.....Worked... Only question I have is what is the purplera1n file that I made last week for ?
MZ - July 3, 2009 at 3:36pm
Im just as confused as you are, but from my understanding, I think that the purplera1n file from last week has something to do with always allowing us to downgrade back to 3.0 in the future so our phone can always be jailbreakable. This does not apply to downgrading the baseband, just downgrading the firmware. Dont quote me on this though. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable could fill us in.
vipr619 - July 3, 2009 at 12:54pm
forgot to mention reboot after running Freeze
Prev 1 of 2 Next