July 23, 2024
Apple to Investigate Death of Chinese Woman Who Was Shocked By Charging iPhone

Apple to Investigate Death of Chinese Woman Who Was Shocked By Charging iPhone

Posted July 15, 2013 at 4:34pm by iClarified
Apple is investigating the death of a Chinese woman who received a massive shock after answering a call on her charging iPhone 5, reports Reuters.

Last Thursday, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old woman from China's western Xinjiang region and a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was electrocuted when she took a call on the charging mobile telephone, the official Xinhua news agency quoted police as saying on Sunday.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter," Apple said in an e-mail.


Ma's sister warned others to be careful on Sin'a microblog. It's unclear if the woman was using a third party charger or cable at the time of the incident.

Read More


Apple to Investigate Death of Chinese Woman Who Was Shocked By Charging iPhone
Add Comment
Would you like to be notified when someone replies or adds a new comment?
Yes (All Threads)
Yes (This Thread Only)
No
iClarified Icon
Notifications
Would you like to be notified when we post a new Apple news article or tutorial?
Yes
No
Comments (16)
You must login or register to add a comment...
Ali
Ali - July 16, 2013 at 4:24pm
RIP :( Ummmmm , let me think I was holding the iPhone 5 charger for 5 minutes . wooooow surprise am still alive and I was able to add comment. Try it , then try to convince me. It's all about last week news , competitor cell phone company (Exploding phone leaves teenager with third degree burns)
gamerscul9870
gamerscul9870 - July 16, 2013 at 2:03pm
At least this time they're notvsued.
Vick
Vick - July 16, 2013 at 12:28pm
the charger most have short circuited inside somehow and past. the input voltage threw to the the cable resulting in getting electrocuted it is for sure fault from the charger
iReal
iReal - July 16, 2013 at 5:28am
For sure sounds like it was a legit apple cable. I hear of this happening all the time but never makes the news (out of court settlements and such) Apple is shifty.
stevles
stevles - July 16, 2013 at 12:34pm
Yeah man you must be real special to be in the underground loop of unofficial info given about people who get killed by Apple chargers!
khizar nazir
khizar nazir - July 16, 2013 at 5:06am
when you are bare footed or sweating in foot you feel a jerk .............. i dont think so its a third party charger fault its apple fault of metal ring and the inner side is not cover.
unlockmyidevice
unlockmyidevice - July 16, 2013 at 4:26am
Who cares,they're overpopulated anyway.Just saying...
gamerscul9870
gamerscul9870 - July 16, 2013 at 2:08pm
One, what makes you say that? Two, I think gaydroid's outdated
lol08
lol08 - July 16, 2013 at 4:05am
If it was a cheap 3rd party charger, it could be the reason she got shocked... dodgy electronic equipment.
johnj
johnj - July 15, 2013 at 11:07pm
probably using non apple cables and/or charger.
rexology
rexology - July 15, 2013 at 7:26pm
This sounds like one of those freak accidents that can never be avoided cause of the lack of knowledge in what the precise problem is. I've got two Apple genuine chargers, and the USB connector is ripped and both ends are held together with electrical tape. I haven't had any problems yet, but it would be unfortunate if this happened to me. RIP to the woman and condolences to the family. I'm replacing my wires ASAP.
Mr gadget guy
Mr gadget guy - July 15, 2013 at 6:02pm
It is the charger i brought one and got shock thats apples way of telling u only shop with us they need to sort out the prices so people would not have to buy a cheeper charger or replacement glass iphones are built to break even the charger the amount we pay for our iphones plus the apple should fix every customers iphone once for free and replace any charging cable the falls apart
jang le
jang le - July 15, 2013 at 5:36pm
i had this happened once but didnt get shocked just my phone getting zapped and the phone mobo fried but still turns on but the screen flickered, never trust ebay chargers or third party cables ill pay the extra 2 dollars just to be safe...you get what you pay for, never PAY for CHINESE knock offs or third party accessories from china, being chinese myself i dont trust it
Simon
Simon - July 15, 2013 at 5:33pm
There has to be some I go missing from this story. USB chargers are low voltage and incapable of electricuting a person. Now if the ac plug is what she got wet, then it's another story and it could have happened whether it was an apple charger or one made by another phone maker.
SimmiD
SimmiD - July 16, 2013 at 12:28am
I agree with the comment that something must be missing from this story as the chargers are too low voltage to produce a fatal shock on their own. It may of happened if she was stepping out of the shower with wet hands/ hair or had some other kind of conducive liquid on her hands if she was in the kitchen and even then she would have more likely had to have a fault in the cord or charger somewhere. Its sad this has happened nonetheless and I'm sorry for her family, you can only hope people learn from this tragedy and are more careful/ alert with any of their electrical devices (especially the people who use their phones in the shower and bath- I know people who do this!!!).
Electrician
Electrician - July 16, 2013 at 7:20am
You can pull a maximum of 100 mA from a usb and 30 mA could kill you its not the voltage you should worry about its the amps that stop your heart and it wont take alot to do that
Recent. Read the latest Apple News.
RECENT
Tutorials. Help is here.
TUTORIALS
Where to Download macOS Monterey
Where to Download macOS Ventura
AppleTV Firmware Download Locations
Where To Download iPad Firmware Files From
Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
Deals. Save on Apple devices and accessories.
DEALS