"Read 2 Me" users can easily import .txt files from the Gutenberg website (which includes over 27,000 e-texts), or can create their own .txt files by converting word docs or PDFs. Read 2 Me's FAQ page on the "Read 2 Me" website explains various methods of accomplishing conversion.
David Hoofnagle of Retinal Media states, "Our goal was to create a product that rivaled other text-to-speech synthesizers at a nominal cost, in order to give accessibility features to those who can benefit from this kind of technology in a mobile phone. Having a device that can 'mimic' human voices with such incredible realistic and natural tones is an exciting step in the merging of mobile media and entertainment technologies."
Read 2 Me Version 1.0 features include:
* Optimization for Gutenberg.org plain-text ASCII files
* Optimization for ANY.txt file (UTF-8, Ascii encoding) at any web-based URL
* Prev/Next custom bookmarking navigation
* Elegant scrolling text view of imported text with line break optimization for ease on the eyes
* Automatic scrolling of the spoken text
* Easy navigation of sections of texts, saved bookmarks, and library content
Pricing and Availability:
Read 2 Me is available immediately from the Apple iTunes App Store for a one-time fee of $6.99 (USD) and includes 4 high quality voices (UK and US female and male voices) from Acapela-Group.