Your MacBook computer has two memory slots that you access by removing the memory door in the battery bay. Your MacBook comes with at least 512 megabytes (MB) of 667 MHz Double Data Rate (DDR2) Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) installed.
Both memory slots can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:
* Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format
* 1.25 inch or smaller
* 512 MB or 1 gigabyte (GB)
* PC2-5300 DDR2 667 MHz Type RAM
Depending on the configuration of the MacBook you purchased, both memory slots may already be full. The maximum amount of memory you can install in your MacBook is 2 GB (using 1 GB DIMMs in both memory slots).
Note: For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.
Step 1: Removing the Battery
1. Shut down your MacBook. Disconnect the power adapter, Ethernet cable, and any other cords connected to the MacBook, in order to prevent damaging the computer.
2. Turn the computer over.
3. Locate the battery release latch next to the battery.
4. Insert a coin into the slot and turn the latch a quarter turn clockwise to unlock the battery. The battery should pop up slightly.
5. Lift the battery out.
Step 2: Installing the new Memory
1. Using a Phillips size 00 screwdriver, unscrew the three captive screws that secure the L-bracket.
2. Pull out the long end of the bracket first to remove it from the battery bay of your computer. (Levers on the memory slot spring out when you remove the bracket.)
3. Touch a metal surface inside the computer to discharge any static electricity from your body.
4. If you need to remove a memory card, follow these instructions:
In one swift motion, use your thumb or index finger to move the lever to the left and release it. This swift motion ejects the memory card, and the lever then springs back to the starting position. Pull out the memory module(s).
Note: If any of the following issues occur, see an Apple-authorized service technician to complete the memory card installation:
* lever wobbles
* lever offers no resistance
* lever is stuck
* lever does not return to starting position
5. Insert the new memory modules into the slots:
1. Insert the gold edge first, with the notch on the left side.
2. Use two fingers with firm even pressure to push in the memory modules.
3. If the levers don't return to the closed position, move them to the right to close them.
Note: You may need to use increased firm pressure in order to ensure that the memory seats properly. Failure to seat the memory correctly could result in a "no power" situation, or the memory not being recognized by the system.
6. Replace the L-bracket by inserting the short end first and tightening the screws.
Step 3: To insert the battery
1. Place the right side of the battery into the battery compartment at an angle, as shown below.
2. Gently press the left side of the battery down until the battery latch locks into place. Using a coin, turn the battery latch a quarter turn counter-clockwise to secure the battery.