September 30, 2022
Apple's Official Response to Jailbreak Ruling

Apple's Official Response to Jailbreak Ruling

Posted July 26, 2010 at 10:06pm · 43 comments · Add Comment
Edwin
Edwin - July 30, 2010 at 1:06pm
What's significant regarding this statement by the Apple Spokeswoman stating that "the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty" with "this can violate the warranty" and not this will violate the warranty being key. I believe there will be a tremendous amount of push back legally and even class action if Apple were to try and cancel a warranty based on Jailbreaking a phone now. There are more options when something is legal to do than when it is not legal to do and just because a company has the right to enforce their policies as they see fit, the consumer has every right to challenge a policy if it is perceived to be unfair by a majority of the same consumers. In addition, Apple stating that the vast majority of iPhone users don't do this is based on what hard facts? If Apple knew then they are not telling because they would then be in violation of privacy laws and would not be able push on inadmissible evidence like acquiring private information without the knowledge of the consumer so again I ask you, how do they know unless they already know and can't tell us because they'd show their cards.
Nedrith
Nedrith - July 28, 2010 at 7:00pm
yes, them restricting apps to only those they approve gives better stability to the phone. but so what, when my computer goes bad because of a program or whatever I don't complain about it I fix it. It's my decision to put a app on my phone that breaks it i'll fix it or I'll pay someone to fix it. I don't want apple to decide they hate this company or hate this idea and don't want people who do enjoy it to use it. There is a lot of good legal stuff available through jailbreaking, I'm sure much of that apple either wouldn't approve of or It would be too much of a hassle for jailbreaking. For example, a lot of browser-based games won't make phone apps for the Iphone because it would take too much work to get it approved.
drkztan
drkztan - July 27, 2010 at 6:12pm
I really don't know what is people's problem with apple's app store. that they don't allow alternative app repositories? so what? if you ever had a gaming console, you would be accustomed to this bussiness model, sony, microsoft and nintendo all sell their SDKs to some companies. you can't go and make a wii game and selling it without nintendo knowing, dito with the ps3 or the xbox 360. i for one, am seriously glad apple gatekeeps the app store. mantains the quality bar high. if i want to go the wrong way i can always jailbreak. if you don't agree with me go see the android market. one in ten apps is NOT crapware
fi2o
fi2o - July 27, 2010 at 10:15pm
I don't agree with you, it seems that you have NEVER jailbroke before, appstore is also full of CRAPPS go and check it now, or go and check the latest apps added, if you see the latest 100 apps added you can only take 1 or 2 as "good" apps, the other 98 are just fart apps, "lighting" apps, "beer" apps...
DT
DT - July 28, 2010 at 12:30am
I believe you have never jb b4. I can give you an example. I tried to copy my contacts from the phone to my sim card. I found an app call simanager which was able to do that and that app was not in the app store.
Franzl
Franzl - July 27, 2010 at 4:19pm
Now this is a great day for us! I for myself can’t live without apps like SBSettings and Firewall iP. Especially Firewall iP from CydiaStore, which can stop Apps from sending out data and even block ads I feel safer with that tool.
David
David - July 27, 2010 at 10:05am
The statement from Apple that was posted is simply untrue. Jailbroken iPhones work fine when the Jailbreak is done properly. My jailbroken iPhone 3GS running iOS4 works exactly as it was designed. Apps like MiWi give consumers the power to use the bandwidth they paid for, without getting double-dipped my greedy carriers. Unlocking gives consumers the power to cross borders and change SIM cards to avoid obscene fees and roaming charges. Tell me Steve Jobs, how is that degrading my user experience with my iPhone?
Tunger
Tunger - July 27, 2010 at 9:52am
Why is it so important to have someone or some entity to rage against? Apple, whether you agree with them or not, has every right to run their business the way they do. The ruling means it isn't illegal to jailbreak, but that doesn't mean Apple has to or should change their business model. Whether you agree with it or not, it's a damn good business model. If you hate Apple so much, don't give them your business. Doing so is hypocritical. And stop carrying on about the jailbreak never coming. The good folks who spend so much time, effort and money developing jailbreaks and unlocks are not beholden in any way to you. You don't pay them for their time or effort. So stop complaining. If you can do it faster, do it. For those of you who can't understand the majority of what I'm saying, I will make it simple: STOP WHINING!
marcello
marcello - July 27, 2010 at 5:52am
i agree with them, my phone became totally unstable and unresponsive since i've jailbroke it. oh, no, wait, i just upgrade to iOs4 on my 3G phone...
Littledanish
Littledanish - July 27, 2010 at 6:16am
I agree with you. They should rethink the comment that "jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience". I never had a problem with my 3g till I upgraded to iso 4.0.
www.usermadetutorials.com
www.usermadetutorials.com - July 27, 2010 at 3:50am
as i expected from apple, i hope they wiil be forced tio unlock for free their idevices.
digihead
digihead - July 27, 2010 at 5:37am
they already do!
Billy Bob
Billy Bob - July 27, 2010 at 3:07am
Apple dont want people to jailbreak because it would threaten their revenue stream from the app store ... simple as that, now in a democratic and competitive market, this is wrong that one company can say yes or know to software developers, lets hope some alternative app stores will now pop up ... Apple .. you did this to yourself ..
neonshad0w
neonshad0w - July 27, 2010 at 4:51am
they already have other App Stores that are better, its called Cydia and Rock
tintumz
tintumz - July 27, 2010 at 2:57am
hi guys.. follow @comex in tweeter.. be sure to look on his latest tweet.. hope it can help...