February 21, 2024

How to Install USB on a Take 2 AppleTV
Comments

Posted April 19, 2008 at 4:39pm · 144 comments · Add Comment
Anim8ED
Anim8ED - February 19, 2009 at 11:11pm
PLEASE HELP! I cannot figure out why keep getting this on step 20... -bash-2.05b$ sudo ./putfiles.sh Password: cp: /Users/frontrow/Take2USB/usr/bin/nano: No such file or directory USB Install Completed -bash-2.05b$ The ONLY error and I am stuck I have tried 2.0.2 and 2.3 ATV firmware with the same error. Anyone else seeing the same thing and still able to use a USB hard drive? THANKS!
TDH
TDH - February 5, 2009 at 11:27am
See this thread for simplified setup. http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=2180
Lawrence R Carter
Lawrence R Carter - February 5, 2009 at 11:10am
Help, i followed the above procedure, however, after i restart the atv the remote does not function.
miskatonic
miskatonic - January 16, 2009 at 11:08am
Hi ereyone! Thanks to this fantastic page i have ssh, usb and ATV files perfectly working in my ATV, (especially thanks to Alynpier). Now, when installing Nito TV I have some problem with "smart Installer". It needs the "MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg" in the folder Documents of ATV. I have this file in the Desktop of my computer. Via terminal,I tried "scp -1 -r ~/Desktop/MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg frontrow@AppleTV.local:~/Documents" It seemed that has been copied to "somewhere" in ATV (it lasts for five minutes) but when i try Smart Installer isn't working (still message "you must have MacOsxUpd... in /Documents". So, Can someone tell me wich is the appropiate code line to copy, via terminal, from Desktop to Documents Folder the .dmg? or to change its location in ATV? (from this "somewhere" I copied it to the correct Documents folder) All of this because I'm very new in terminal sintaxis, if you know where I can find information about it's also wellcomed. Thanks in advance!
Alynpier
Alynpier - February 22, 2009 at 5:13am
@miskatonic Try to connect your ATV via Cyberduck (that is the way I copy/delete files from my iMac). server : AppleTV.local port : 21 log/pass : frontrow Then you will be able to copy "MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg" right in the folder Documents of ATV. If this file is already somewhere (you copied it) you will be able to move it in the right place.
Richard Bova
Richard Bova - January 2, 2009 at 10:39pm
Hey guys, I was wondering if we could use the Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) instead of Tiger as i dont have the Tiger disks. Also if I need Tiger, and download it, will the disk image be sufficient. However using Leopard would be easiest for me. Need youe help guys and any help would be appreciated.
Alynpier
Alynpier - January 3, 2009 at 3:45am
Yes, the disk image is enough; you just have to mount it to access certain files.
jpf55
jpf55 - December 19, 2008 at 5:27pm
Jason: if you can SSH into the atv, install nitoTV, it's much simpler, and it will install the necessary files.
bumkin
bumkin - February 5, 2009 at 1:36am
how do you get it to see the drive. i have installed the files as directed but now the remote will not work.
Jason
Jason - December 19, 2008 at 4:14pm
I have version 2.3 can the zip and firmware links listed here be used for 2.3. The highest I see is 2.02
Travis
Travis - November 22, 2008 at 2:09am
Thanks for spelling that out for me, I'm kind of slow :-) Instead of writing scp -1 -r...... Can I write scp -2 -r...... I ask this because whenever I ssh, or anything that usually requires the -1 it tells me I have the wrong type or version (can't remember), but if I use a -2 it works. Is this ok?
TDH
TDH - November 19, 2008 at 12:21am
If you unzip the Take2USB 2.0.2 zip file there is a getfiles.sh script in there. You need to add a # before the line "cp -p /Volumes/OSBoot//mach_kernel.prelink ." without quotes. Then add in "scp -1 -r frontrow@appletv.local:/mach_kernel.prelink ." without quotes on the next line. This will grab the mach_kernel.prelink from the AppleTV itself instead of the restore image so you always have the current version.
Travis
Travis - November 18, 2008 at 9:46pm
There isn't an easier way? I thought that there would be a zip file for 2.1? When you say script do you mean the tar file after extracting the 2.0.2 zip file. I have to modify that?
TDH
TDH - November 18, 2008 at 9:04am
If you compare my script below to the original and make the necessary changes to the original, it will take the firmware directly off the appletv and you won't need the image.
Travis
Travis - November 18, 2008 at 7:25am
Alynpier, That is for the firmware. I need the zip file that creates the tar file. iclarified doesn't have it for 2.1, they stop at 2.0.2... thanks -
Alynpier
Alynpier - November 18, 2008 at 3:21am
Goto : https://iClarified.com/970 ;-)
Travis
Travis - November 17, 2008 at 8:21pm
Nobody knows where the zip/tar files are for OS 2.1? I saw a post that someone with OS 2.1 enabled USB. Do I use the 2.0.2 zip file for that? Please help!
Travis
Travis - November 15, 2008 at 9:33pm
where is the zip file for OS 2.1 ?
jpf55
jpf55 - August 29, 2008 at 3:17pm
Dan: Yes it does, for some reason, I can't find the link where it says so but just go to settings in nitoTV and install software in the order of the screen all the way to Smart Installer, after that its optional. nitoTv will tell you if your are missing files
Dan
Dan - August 29, 2008 at 2:54pm
Does NitoTV add USB support? I couldn't find that anywhere in the documentation..
Alynpier
Alynpier - August 28, 2008 at 5:02pm
To activate USB, you can more easily install the last version of nitoTV (0.4.8) and let him do the job... via Smart Installer. The one thing to do is to copy "MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg" in "frontrow/Documents". ;-)
miskatonic
miskatonic - January 16, 2009 at 11:17am
Hi Alynpier! I have posted a comment for everyone, but in case you see the reply fastest and in brief, wich is the appropiate code line to copy the .dmg from my desktop to Documents folder in ATV? I tried "scp -1 -r ~/Desktop/MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg frontrow@AppleTV.local:~/Documents" and it has been copied, but not in Documents folder, because Smart Installer is not working still. Thanks again!
Dan
Dan - August 28, 2008 at 12:08pm
I had a hell of a time getting this to work, but was finally able to do so earlier this week. I'm still relatively new to terminal so nothing I did would work. I would get all the way to Step 18 without any problems, then when I put in the "sudo ./putfiles.sh" command, it would cycle through all the files and find errors with all of them saying that it could not locate them. I ended up opening the "putfiles.sh" file in the Take2USB folder and reading where the files were supposed to be located. I then logged in to the Apple TV using Fugu and navigated to those folders. As expected, none of the files the "putfiles.sh" file was looking for were there. As a work around, I decided I would use Fugu to manually place all the .kext files in the proper places on the Apple TV. For the other Noobs who can't get this to work who were getting the same error message I got, this is how I did it: Open the putfiles.sh file in the Take2USB folder. Make a list of all the .kexts and .bins and the location on the Apple TV they need to be place in the file. On your computer, navigate to the System>Library>Extensions folder in your hard drive in Finder. You should be able to find all those .kexts and .bins in there. Copy them all and paste them into a folder on your desktop. Use Fugu or some other SSH program to get into your Apple TV and navigate to the locations that are in the list you made above. Once there, upload all the .kexts or .bins that are in that list in their proper locations. Once that's done, get into terminal and go through Steps 14 to the end again. Reboot your Apple TV and cross your fingers. I spent about 3 months dealing with a piddly 40GB internal hard drive and being frustrated by dead ends with this hack. Now I have every television show I've ever downloaded at my finger tips on my TV. And I still have 200GB to spare on my external. This is really great. Thanks to everyone who has helped make this hack better.
miskatonic
miskatonic - August 18, 2008 at 4:21pm
THAAAAAAANKS A LOT ALYNPIER ! It's working yet
TDH
TDH - August 18, 2008 at 12:21am
This script should work with any version and does not require the restore image as it copies the mach_kernel file from the apple tv. Updated script for 2.1: #!/bin/bash [ "$USER" != "root" ] && { echo "You need to run this script as ROOT. Exiting..." echo exit 1 } OSDISK='/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1'; # Check for mounted volumes [ -d "$OSDISK" ] || { echo "You need to mount Mac OS X Install Disc 1. Exiting..." exit 1 } echo "Mac OS X Install Disc 1: Found" # Make necessary directories mkdir -p ./System/Library/Extensions; mkdir -p ./usr/bin; mkdir -p ./usr/sbin; echo "Directories: Created" # Extract from OS Install disk, Essentials PKG pax -r -p e -z -f /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 1/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz \ './System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext*' \ './System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext*' \ './System/Library/Extensions/udf.kext*' \ './System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext*' \ './System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext*' \ './System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext*' \ './usr/bin/crontab' \ './usr/sbin/cron' \ './System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext*'; echo "Extract from OS Install disk, Essentials PKG: Completed" # Extract from OS Install disk, BSD PKG pax -r -p e -z -f /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 1/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz \ './usr/bin/nano'; echo "Extract from OS Install disk, BSD PKG: Completed" # mach_kernel.prelink # cp -p /Volumes/OSBoot//mach_kernel.prelink . scp -1 -r frontrow@appletv.local:/mach_kernel.prelink . echo "Copy mach_kernel.prelink: Completed" # Make sure mach_kernel.prelink input file is here if [ ! -f mach_kernel.prelink ] then echo ================================================= echo ==== Error! echo ==== You must first copy "mach_kernel.prelink" echo ==== into current directory!! echo ================================================= exit 1 fi # ==== decompress original mach_kernel.prelink file echo ========= decompress kernel ========= ./prelink_tool -d mach_kernel.prelink mach_kernel_patched.bin if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi # ==== patch the decompressed kernel echo ======== patch kernel ========= ./poke mach_kernel_patched.bin 0x52055e 0x75:0x75 0x34:0x30 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi ./poke mach_kernel_patched.bin 0x52123E 0x75:0x75 0x34:0x30 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi ./poke mach_kernel_patched.bin 0x520576 0x75:0x75 0x1c:0x18 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi ./poke mach_kernel_patched.bin 0x521256 0x75:0x75 0x1c:0x18 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi # ==== compress the patched kernel echo ======= compress kernel ======= ./prelink_tool -e mach_kernel_patched.bin mach_kernel_patched.prelink if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi # Change permissions chown -R root:wheel ./System; chown -R root:wheel ./mach_kernel.prelink; chown -R root:wheel ./usr chmod -R 755 ./System; chmod -R 755 ./mach_kernel.prelink; chmod -R 755 ./usr; echo "Set Permissions: Completed" tar cvf ../Take2USB.tar ../Take2USB
alynpier
alynpier - August 16, 2008 at 7:19pm
Thanks for 2.1 link. I just made the update, and patched my ATV again. All is fine... but ATV no more appears in iTunes; I have to sync iPhotolib, podcasts and music. All video files come as AVI files on an external HD. So how can I do ? @miskatonic : dl this "http://dl.free.fr/b7iBA0I1f/Take2USB.tar". It would make the deal... ;-)
radley
radley - August 10, 2008 at 4:49am
@alynpier 2.1 is here: https://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=970
miskatonic
miskatonic - August 6, 2008 at 1:54pm
Hi! Perhaps is a question already fixed, but i can't find where. Anybody has a "606 bus error" and aborting the process when trying to create the take2usb.tar file? Thanks for this useful guides and i hope to find a solution...
abc
abc - July 31, 2008 at 11:27am
I have upgraded my ATV to 2.1 , USB hack works just fine. However, Apple blocks me from using youtube and all the movies trailers and music reviews. Any ideals to bypass that. Thanks
alynpier
alynpier - July 31, 2008 at 8:50am
Hi, Has someone found the direct URL to download ATV 2.1? I seek in vain... I can't find it (I do not want to do it starting from my ATV, I want to dl it before on my Mac). Thanks,
Ken
Ken - July 23, 2008 at 1:19am
Ok...now that I have had a second to play with this I have noticed that an issue that I used to have has resurfaced with my updating to 2.1 . I again am having an issue with the audio and video syncing with the AC3 audio. There is almost a 1-2 second delay from the audio to the video matching it. I have installed Perian thru the nitoTV installation manager and that has not seemed to fix it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ken
Ken - July 22, 2008 at 5:57pm
Thank you all for your help. Bill...I did get it up and running with JPF's help. The only thing I think I had to change was his suggestion of "Volumes/" to "Users/". The rest was me learning some simple commands for SSH. So far so good. Recognizes usb drive in Sapphire and I will play more with it later. I haven't been able to test audio as of yet (passthrough). Thank's again for everyones help.
Bill
Bill - July 22, 2008 at 5:01pm
Ken... sorry. I stopped checking frequently once my problem was solved. :( Did you get it to install properly without the recovery.dmg? Basically, I "acquired" the ATV 1.0 software .dmg through a specific site (*cough* *cough*), renamed it "recovery.dmg", and placed it in the "Documents" folder as JPF has indicated. I didn't realize, either, that it was no longer needed. But, yes, I used the Combo Update .dmg, as well, and that got Smart Installer to run just fine. JPF: I've not noticed any movies skipping in Sapphire, and I use it ALL THE TIME. I have noticed that when I'm running a 720p H.264 MPEG off my USB, I'll get a frame stall every once in a while. Encoding those .mkv files as 720p avi's spares me from that problem, and the picture quality difference is negligible.
JPF
JPF - July 22, 2008 at 2:00pm
Ken, sorry my bad, with the instructions found here, you don't need the recovery.dmg. I left mine there as per older instructions from nitoTV.
Ken
Ken - July 22, 2008 at 1:23pm
Thank you JFP. Where does one find the recovery.dmg and is there a specific version of it?
JPF
JPF - July 22, 2008 at 9:08am
Ken, here are the correct paths: /Volumes/frontrow/Documents/MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg and /Volumes/frontrow/Documents/recovery.dmg
Ken
Ken - July 22, 2008 at 12:23am
Bill....I'm having trouble with running the smart installer from nitoTV. I was curious if you used the combo update file or did it by mounting an intel mac running 10.4.x ? I can't seem to figure out where to place the combo update file and I am considering finding an intel mac running the 10.4.x if you can confirm which of the processes worked for you I would really appreciate it.
JPF
JPF - July 19, 2008 at 7:57pm
re Sapphire: First I think it's great but not ready for prime time as they say, I have several problems with it: 1- some movies skip and they don't in ATVFiles or nitoTV 2- some of my movies don't show up at all in the genre folders but they do when you use Sapphire to go directly to the USB drive and I can't figure out why 3- Even if there is a cover it still gets one and replaces the one I had carefully chosen and actually duplicates it, one version called cover and the other called by moviename 4- I don't like the icons but that's just me and it's the first thing I changed :) 5- in the import data section, it's missing a "Skip over this one" choice for stuff that is not on IMDB 6- The import data part grinds down to a halt if you have big folders 7- It is still a great app though and I am not a programmer so I can't complain
bill
bill - July 19, 2008 at 5:46pm
Yeah, Sapphire works fine without ATVFiles. In addition to its browser, which displays all of the IMDB info, Sapphire will give you direct access to your files from its home menu, just like ATVFiles. It won't let you create "Places" on the ATV Home Menu the way ATVFiles does, but 9 times out of 10 I go through the Sapphire Browser window that shows all of the program info. I decided to install the minimum possible this go around!
JPF
JPF - July 19, 2008 at 5:39pm
Bill: Great news and I even learned something, I didn't know sapphire worked without ATVFiles. I'll try to muster up the courage... again ;) plumber37: I didn't know about the Events icon, probably used in webgallery and iPhoto
plumber37
plumber37 - July 19, 2008 at 3:14pm
Very True JPF i think apple is messing with us. They are really trying so hard to make their products not hackable. When in reality all these hacks are great addons which really dont violate any piracy laws. I just dont get it i think apple need to just give the consumer what they want. Maybe if they would listen to people they could learn something. by the way i enabled ssh in ATV 2.1 and installed ATV files everything working fine. I like ATV 2.1 because of the thumbnail view in my photos instead of going directly to slideshow. Best improvement apple made to ATV i think.
Bill
Bill - July 19, 2008 at 3:11pm
Okay, went another route. Factory restored to 2.0, upgraded to 2.1, and installed the latest version of NitoTV. ONLY ran NitoTV's "Smart Installer," and that activated my USB connectivity. Also installed the new version of Sapphire for 2.1 Now, I get my external drive in Sapphire, and my ATV still shows up in/syncs to iTunes. Installed AFP, and now I've got everything working I had in 2.02. It's a good day.
JPF
JPF - July 19, 2008 at 12:43pm
plumber37: You had me going there for a while. the USB drive will never be seen by iTunes but is available to ATV or at least it was until 2.1. I still haven't done the 2.1 upgrade and since I don't really need MobileMe or iPhoneRemote, i'll wait. That still does not explain why iTunes does not see the ATV
plumber37
plumber37 - July 19, 2008 at 10:34am
i was never able to sync with itunes using the usb hack i was just trying to be funny because i just gave up on it. Thats why i went and bought a drive. upgraded to aple tv 2.1 was actually very easy just needed ipartition to resize drive after install. doing a factory restore after restoring drive to new image did not free up extra space on harddrive. Using ipartition worked like a charm.