How to Install USB on a Take 2 AppleTV

How to Install USB on a Take 2 AppleTV

Anim8ED - February 19, 2009 at 11:11pm
PLEASE HELP! I cannot figure out why keep getting this on step 20... -bash-2.05b$ sudo ./putfiles.sh Password: cp: /Users/frontrow/Take2USB/usr/bin/nano: No such file or directory USB Install Completed -bash-2.05b$ The ONLY error and I am stuck I have tried 2.0.2 and 2.3 ATV firmware with the same error. Anyone else seeing the same thing and still able to use a USB hard drive? THANKS!
TDH - February 5, 2009 at 11:27am
See this thread for simplified setup. http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=2180
Lawrence R Carter - February 5, 2009 at 11:10am
Help, i followed the above procedure, however, after i restart the atv the remote does not function.
miskatonic - January 16, 2009 at 11:08am
Hi ereyone! Thanks to this fantastic page i have ssh, usb and ATV files perfectly working in my ATV, (especially thanks to Alynpier). Now, when installing Nito TV I have some problem with \"smart Installer\". It needs the \"MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg\" in the folder Documents of ATV. I have this file in the Desktop of my computer. Via terminal,I tried \"scp -1 -r ~/Desktop/MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg frontrow@AppleTV.local:~/Documents\" It seemed that has been copied to \"somewhere\" in ATV (it lasts for five minutes) but when i try Smart Installer isn\'t working (still message \"you must have MacOsxUpd... in /Documents\". So, Can someone tell me wich is the appropiate code line to copy, via terminal, from Desktop to Documents Folder the .dmg? or to change its location in ATV? (from this \"somewhere\" I copied it to the correct Documents folder) All of this because I\'m very new in terminal sintaxis, if you know where I can find information about it\'s also wellcomed. Thanks in advance!
Alynpier - February 22, 2009 at 5:13am
@miskatonic Try to connect your ATV via Cyberduck (that is the way I copy/delete files from my iMac). server : AppleTV.local port : 21 log/pass : frontrow Then you will be able to copy \"MacOsxUpdCombo10.4.9.Intel.dmg\" right in the folder Documents of ATV. If this file is already somewhere (you copied it) you will be able to move it in the right place.
Richard Bova - January 2, 2009 at 10:39pm
Hey guys, I was wondering if we could use the Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) instead of Tiger as i dont have the Tiger disks. Also if I need Tiger, and download it, will the disk image be sufficient. However using Leopard would be easiest for me. Need youe help guys and any help would be appreciated.
Alynpier - January 3, 2009 at 3:45am
Yes, the disk image is enough; you just have to mount it to access certain files.
jpf55 - December 19, 2008 at 5:27pm
Jason: if you can SSH into the atv, install nitoTV, it\'s much simpler, and it will install the necessary files.
bumkin - February 5, 2009 at 1:36am
how do you get it to see the drive. i have installed the files as directed but now the remote will not work.
Jason - December 19, 2008 at 4:14pm
I have version 2.3 can the zip and firmware links listed here be used for 2.3. The highest I see is 2.02
Travis - November 22, 2008 at 2:09am
Thanks for spelling that out for me, I\'m kind of slow :-) Instead of writing scp -1 -r...... Can I write scp -2 -r...... I ask this because whenever I ssh, or anything that usually requires the -1 it tells me I have the wrong type or version (can\'t remember), but if I use a -2 it works. Is this ok?
TDH - November 19, 2008 at 12:21am
If you unzip the Take2USB 2.0.2 zip file there is a getfiles.sh script in there. You need to add a # before the line \"cp -p /Volumes/OSBoot//mach_kernel.prelink .\" without quotes. Then add in \"scp -1 -r frontrow@appletv.local:/mach_kernel.prelink .\" without quotes on the next line. This will grab the mach_kernel.prelink from the AppleTV itself instead of the restore image so you always have the current version.
Travis - November 18, 2008 at 9:46pm
There isn\'t an easier way? I thought that there would be a zip file for 2.1? When you say script do you mean the tar file after extracting the 2.0.2 zip file. I have to modify that?